What speeds do you generally shift up on a 650? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

What speeds do you generally shift up on a 650?

First off, I do realize shifting up is supposed to be based on RPMs and not speed. But obviously there is no tachometer.

I just got the bike last Saturday and the only bike I've rode before was a Honda Rebel in the MSF class. We only went up to 2nd gear and max speeds of like 18-20 mph in the class.

I was shocked at the super low speeds given in the Yamaha manual for shifting.

I think it says 3rd gear at 15 mph, 4th at 20 mph, and 5th at 25 mph.

Are these supposed to be minimums? I'm wondering if this advice is just for a highway on-ramp. Or should I really be in 5th gear on a 35 mph road?

I saw that the manual also says to try not to open the throttle wide for long periods of time for the first 1,000 miles. Is shifting at such low speeds part of a strategy for keeping RPMs down?

Last edited by Kyle76; 05-29-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 04:50 PM

I normally only defecate when I am parked, preferably on a toilet.

Watch your spelling.

BLUE BIKE CLUB

2008 ROAD STAR

2008 KAWASAKI KLR 650

2014 Triumph Tiger 800 XC

My ride videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/roadstarblue/videos

Never run out of traction, ideas, and real estate at the same time.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 05:00 PM

I don't recall when I tend to shift, but I have two comments that might help. First gear on these bikes is really low. I find I'm shifting to 2nd pretty quit (when i'm turning left from a stop I'm looking at 2nd before I complete the turn). I find when I'm in a 25 mph zone if I stay in 3rd I don't speed. I think I shift to 5th somewhere around 40 mph ( depending on if I'm accelerating or just crusing anong. (I start looking for 6th at about 50 (;-{)>

I don't know if these are good habits or not and maybe someone with more knowledge will comment. Have fun!

BLUE BIKE CLUB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlawrence View Post
I don't recall when I tend to shift, but I have two comments that might help. First gear on these bikes is really low. I find I'm shifting to 2nd pretty quit (when i'm turning left from a stop I'm looking at 2nd before I complete the turn). I find when I'm in a 25 mph zone if I stay in 3rd I don't speed. I think I shift to 5th somewhere around 40 mph ( depending on if I'm accelerating or just crusing anong. (I start looking for 6th at about 50 (;-{)>

I don't know if these are good habits or not and maybe someone with more knowledge will comment. Have fun!
I'm new myself, but I find your shifting speeds to be pretty spot on!

99' V-Star 650 Classic
- AIS deleted
- Kuryakyn black ISO grips

ENJOY THE RIDE, NOT THE SPEED.
"Assume everyone else is trying to kill you."
"There's always more lean!"

Glad to be back, I just wish the stores here were open on Sundays.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 05:06 PM

I'm with Blue, at least pull over first.
Everything has a recommended shift point. (that's so the morons don't drive 55 in 1st gear) Cars have shift indicator lights but I never paid any attention to them. If you have ever driven anything with a manual transmission you know what I mean. You can tell by both available power and engine speed if you are in the correct gear. Shift when it feels right. That's what I have always done. If the manual says shift at 35 and you shift at 38 you ain't gonna break anything.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 05:10 PM

Most, if not all, manufactures tell you to shift at these ridiculous speeds because the government puts ridiculous restraints on fuel economy and such. Going strictly off the numbers will be the optimal fuel economy ON PAPER, then they can meet the ridiculous requirements. But in the real world, we all know this is absolutely absurd. I have never gone by these numbers because the engine is lugging too much, and I still exceed the advertised fuel economy numbers.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

I do shift to 2nd as fast as possible. I actually wondered if it was common for people to shift to 2nd as they are turning left from a stop sign or red light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlawrence View Post

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmccutchan View Post
Most, if not all, manufactures tell you to shift at these ridiculous speeds because the government puts ridiculous restraints on fuel economy and such. Going strictly off the numbers will be the optimal fuel economy ON PAPER, then they can meet the ridiculous requirements. But in the real world, we all know this is absolutely absurd. I have never gone by these numbers because the engine is lugging too much, and I still exceed the advertised fuel economy numbers.
That explanation actually makes a lot of sense.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

The manual also basically says downshifting is dangerous and to do all your downshifting at 16 mph. I assume this is just a liability thing.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 07:40 PM

That will ruin a pair of pants for the entire trip.

A little experience will help you get the feel for the sweet spot for shiFting. The MOM tends to be low for shIFt speeds. The worst thing you can do is lug the engine. A little over reving won't hurt occasionally.

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode