Brake light modulator plus LED license plate frame? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Brake light modulator plus LED license plate frame?

I am considering adding a brake light modulator such as the Signal Dynamics Back Off and wondering if that provides enough of a visibility boost or if I should invest in the LED license plate frame as well. I have the stock brake light setup currently on a 950T.

Anyone have an opinion?

Thanks

2012 V Star 950 Tourer
Ultimate Seats
Lindby Multibar
Kuryakyn Iso grips / passenger floorboards / power point / drink holder
Arkon Garmin nuvi mount
Signal Dynamics Backoff XP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 07:29 PM

Why not both if it raises your visibility? I haven't done a brake light modulator yet. I did apply some reflective tape to the saddle bags and back of the sissy bar back rest. The tape I used is the same reflective tape applied to trailers. It comes in both silver and red. It can be trimmed with scissors. Will probably do the brake modulator next

I tend to flash my brake light under normal stopping conditions but it would be nice to not have to modulate the brake light manually.

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

i have an LED license frame from Kuryakyn and it barely lights up my license plate. don't count on that to add any great deal of visibility. the back off brake modulator is so people don't ram into you when you're slowing down. it's definitely worth it and i think the first mod i ever did on my 950.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 06:02 AM

Garage
I did this http://www.customdynamics.com/Yamaha_tail_retro.htm for my 1100 with the modulator.

2002 V-Star 1100 Classic
Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing
Dragbar Handlebars
National Cycle Cruiseliner Saddlebags
7" LED Headlight with 4.5" LED Driving Lights
Corbin Seat
Engine Guard with Kuryakyn Pegs
Chubby Intake with TimB's PMS Thumbscrews
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 06:18 PM

I have the Kuryakyn Triple Whammy to make the rear signals run/turn/brake, and installed a Knight Riderz strobe light bar from Custom Dynamics just above the brake light to add additional visibility.

http://youtu.be/Xtats2DaXyc

2002 V-Star 1100 Silverado
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

I decided to keep it simple and just install the brake light modulator. I bought the Backoff XP which says it is compatible with all types of brake lights; so thought it was worth the few extra bucks for flexibility down the road if I change any of my lighting.

The instructions are a little vague in that they state "Cut and splice Module into brake light wire". Well my handy Clymer manual shows two brake light wires, yellow that goes to the brake light switches and blue which goes to the fuse box. Additionally it shows the blue providing power to the License lights. Right or wrong, I decided to try the yellow wire (which ended up being yellow / green on my vStar which scared me a little bit). I used male/female wire connectors for all my connections hoping that will be more durable as well as easy to change out if I needed to.

The modulator is installed and yellow wire seems to have been the right choice...or it didn't matter which one I chose.

Hopefully this will help keep the cagers back a bit during stops.

Thanks to everyone who shared their ideas and setup.

2012 V Star 950 Tourer
Ultimate Seats
Lindby Multibar
Kuryakyn Iso grips / passenger floorboards / power point / drink holder
Arkon Garmin nuvi mount
Signal Dynamics Backoff XP
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

the correct wire is yellow. you guessed correctly

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 04:13 PM

I picked up a kit on ebay recently. Has a 12 LED triangle shaped light that bolts to the top of the licence plate while the controller fits into the area behind the plate where all the wires are. I kept the original tail/brake light wired normal while the new LED light was wired to the controller. This new light gives plenty of illumination and one thing I've noticed is nobody pulls up close behind me at stop lights. It also has an added feature that you can install a momentary switch up by the hand controls so you can activate it to give anyone behind you a quick warning to back off. As long as you hold the button down it flashes. Under normal use it gives 4 quick flashes followed by 4 slow flashes then glows steady like a normal brake light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode