VStar 1100 flooding? Ventilation? Hot Start Problem - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

VStar 1100 flooding? Ventilation? Hot Start Problem

Hello all,
So this is not my first time with this problem and I have been trying to figure out the issue and fix it for two years. I have read recent and old threads on here about the same issue and have tried everything that others have done and nothing is working. Here is what happens.

After riding on a moderately warm day, or a scolding hot day, I will arrive to my destination and the bike will sit between 5 - 20 minutes. I will come back to the bike and try to start it and it does not want to turn over. I will wait a few seconds in between tries and eventually it will turn over but it will start off very weak, as if starting from a cold engine, and then become stronger. Sometimes it will stall when I give it gas after it starts. Shops have said it could be a ventilation problem, a valve problem, or that it's just the way it is. I have called Yamaha twice and they tell me to take it to a dealer and then if the dealer can't figure it out to call their technicians then maybe a representative will come out and take a look. I am really tired of paying dealers who have no clue what it is especially since I have the YES warranty. It has to be something with these bikes. So if you all have anymore guidance that you can give, I would much appreciate it. Here is a video of what it sounds like just two days ago.

The following is what I have done to the bike in order to possibly fix the issue:
Carb cleaning (it was spotless already)
Tightened the screws on the gas cap
Had my valves adjusted at 7000 miles
Ensured the floats were sitting correctly
Trickle charging the battery
Changed the spark plugs
Starter clutch replaced at 5500 miles

Semper Fi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 09:44 AM

You most likely just need to let it turn over longer. In that video you didn't even give it 4 seconds to fire. Hold that starter button down and count to 20. My guess is that it will fire before you get there. This is not a fuel injected motor and there is no accellerator pump on the carb. Fuel gets hot sitting in the carb bowls and vaporizes. You probably just need to turn it over long enough that the fuel pump can push liquid fuel through the carbs to the intake. We're talking about 3-4 lbs of pressure. Not 50-80 lbs of pressure. It might take a little bit.

I've had my 1100 in the Arizona summer heat for over 6 years. Not once has the bike not started when I just let it turn over long enough to fire.

Also, a lot of us have ditched the stock airbox and filter and went with a pod set up. This allows a lot more air to circulate around the carbs and will all but eliminate the issue.....as long as you give it a chance to start.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff

Last edited by Sick Mick; 06-01-2014 at 09:49 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 09:50 AM

my idle is at present fluctuating high and low.when you have this problem try turning your idle knob up i little and see what happens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mick View Post
You most likely just need to let it turn over longer. In that video you didn't even give it 4 seconds to fire. Hold that starter button down and count to 20. My guess is that it will fire before you get there. This is not a fuel injected motor and there is no accellerator pump on the carb. Fuel gets hot sitting in the carb bowls and vaporizes. You probably just need to turn it over long enough that the fuel pump can push liquid fuel through the carbs to the intake. We're talking about 3-4 lbs of pressure. Not 50-80 lbs of pressure. It might take a little bit.

I've had my 1100 in the Arizona summer heat for over 6 years. Not once has the bike not started when I just let it turn over long enough to fire.

Also, a lot of us have ditched the stock airbox and filter and went with a pod set up. This allows a lot more air to circulate around the carbs and will all but eliminate the issue.....as long as you give it a chance to start.
I have heard of pods but do not know much about them. What is a good pod system to use? And I will try holding down the starter longer next time, thank you.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 04:20 PM

if you look in the wkb pages under tuning carb rejetting it tells about diy pods most people go with K&N RU 0-600 filters with the 0-600 filters yiou have to reverse the intake boots so the pods fit under the tank and then i hear they still don't clear forgive my sintax im thinking and typing at the same time.Iwent with the larry rymal quiet pod mod for awhile and with that mod you use K&N RC 1150 filters which are a bit smaller and the fit is clearing the tank.After the first year i did away with the mod and just kept the pods
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 08:13 PM

not related to your problem but i watched the video and saw the v star emblems on your tank are red . did you do that or did they come like that ? also what year is it and model if they did come like that .
thanks
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by red rage View Post
not related to your problem but i watched the video and saw the v star emblems on your tank are red . did you do that or did they come like that ? also what year is it and model if they did come like that .
thanks
It came like that. It's a 2007 vstar 1100 custom midnight edition
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 06:11 AM

I've had the same problem. I read that opening the gas cap for a few seconds before starting could help....and it did!

I just pop the gas cap open while I'm putting on my jacket and helmet then close it up, switch on the ignition and so far it works like a charm.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 08:44 AM

With the gas cap do you just push it on or do you push it on and turn it???
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 10:52 AM

Vapor lock..... shouldn't be an issue unless it's a hot day though...

'06 VStar 1100 Classic - black with ghost flames!
Cobra sissy bar and luggage rack
National Cycle windshield
National Cycle quick release hardbags
Lindby engine guard
Driving lights mounted to engine guard

More to come when I save enough cash!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode