Just Picked Up My "New" V-Star - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Just Picked Up My "New" V-Star

Hi, I just drove home my "new" 2009 Star 1300 Tourer yesterday 275 miles. It only had 131 miles on it when I picked it up! Compared to my "too small" 800cc C50T and my "too big" Goldwing, the Star seems to be the right size and weight for me, while still being smooth on the highway due to its taller gearing.

On the negative side, I did notice the "clunkiness" of lower gear changes, the stretch needed for the handlebars, and the buffeting. Also compared to my less expensive C50T, I think Yammy skimped on a few things (chrome around handlebar switches & master cylinder, no fuel gauge, etc.). Anyway, I have a few questions:

1. I'm considering a mustang seat. How much will it move me forward? I hear replacing the handlebars will reduce my stretch by 3" (since 3" more pullback), but I wasn't sure if the mustang seat will eliminate some of stretch. At 5' 10.5" tall, it's not real uncomfortable, but I do feel discomfort in my lower neck and shoulders after a long ride.

2. I've read I can replace the handlebars for $125 and no cable changes are needed. Can I buy these handlebars on the internet, or must I go through my Yammy dealer?

3. I was only given one key. Can I get an extra key made at a hardware store, or is it a special key that must be made at the Yammy dealer?

4. The self-canceling turn signals don't work well. They only cancel under 50% of the time even after major turns. Is this normal, or is some type of adjustment needed?

5. Although I saw chrome to dress up the master cylinder, has anybody seen chrome to dress up the black handlebar switch housings (where the horn, turn signal, starter switches, etc. are located)? I searched but only found something for the 650, not 1300.

6. Although I suspect not, are there any adjustments to reduce the clunkiness of the lower gear changes? Also I find the clutch and brake levers to be rotated too far downward for my taste. I assume these are adjustable?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks in advance!
Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 04:39 PM

Garage
3. I was only given one key. Can I get an extra key made at a hardware store, or is it a special key that must be made at the Yammy dealer? - Buy the blanks on-line (check eBay) and have your local hardware store cut them. I bought two since they're pretty inexpensive.

2002 V-Star 1100 Classic
Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing
Dragbar Handlebars
National Cycle Cruiseliner Saddlebags
7" LED Headlight with 4.5" LED Driving Lights
Corbin Seat
Engine Guard with Kuryakyn Pegs
Chubby Intake with TimB's PMS Thumbscrews
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

the mustang seat will push you forward about an inch.

instead of replacing the handlebars, look for replacement risers. much easier/cheaper fix.

pretty sure you have to get another key from the dealer, but i've heard of a claim or 2 from someone online that got a replacement from a locksmith. maybe if you took your ignition to them to have it done...

so the signals stay on indefinitely? how long before you manually cancel them?

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 07:18 PM

Congrats on your new bike! I have a mustang touring seat..it does make u sit more forward..not sure exactly how much but u really feel it..i didnt like it at first but now i love it..I recently changed my handlebars..found some on ebay I liked and did it myself..its not hard to do...hope you enjoy your new ride...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
the mustang seat will push you forward about an inch.

instead of replacing the handlebars, look for replacement risers. much easier/cheaper fix.

pretty sure you have to get another key from the dealer, but i've heard of a claim or 2 from someone online that got a replacement from a locksmith. maybe if you took your ignition to them to have it done...

Thanks. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but don't risers just make the handlebars higher, versus bringing them closer to the rider? I've never dealt with risers before.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
Thanks. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but don't risers just make the handlebars higher, versus bringing them closer to the rider? I've never dealt with risers before.
It's not a dumb question. If you don't know there is no other way to learn.

You can purchase straight risers which just raise the bars up or you can buy pullback style which come up and back.
http://www.jpcycles.com/2010-yamaha-...ndlebar-risers
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer View Post
It's not a dumb question. If you don't know there is no other way to learn.

You can purchase straight risers which just raise the bars up or you can buy pullback style which come up and back.
http://www.jpcycles.com/2010-yamaha-...ndlebar-risers
Thanks! That makes sense now.

But it seems those risers will cost as much or more than new handlebars, assuming new handlebars are only $100-125 as everybody says. In that case, I may just go for the new handlebars, unless I missing something. But hopefully the mustang seat will help reduce that problem somewhat.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
Actually I just heard the turn signals are supposed to shut off after traveling a certain distance and/or amount of time. That may explain why they weren't cancelling immediately after I straightened the handlebars. I originally thought they were like my Goldwing's, which are not on any type of timer and cancel immediately after straightening out.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 12:15 PM

My bike came with two keys but I had two more made for $1.47 each. Had them made a my local Rural King. It's like a Tractor Supply or Farm and Fleet type store. Check stores like that or hardware stores, they may have the blanks. I was really happy to get a few more keys and so cheap. Both work fine. Now anytime I ride I bring one extra key in my pocket and with a few more at home I should be good if I lose one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode