V Star 1100 vs Road Star - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

V Star 1100 vs Road Star

I am looking for a newer bike, currently riding a 1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special.

I like both the V Star and Road Star and was just wondering if there is any big differences besides engine size between the two lines of motorcycles.

Thank you,

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 01:39 PM

Hi -

I deleted your other thread as it was repetitive and this one gives more (helpful) information.

The current Roadstar's are 1700ccs. Older ones like my 2003 are 1600ccs and about 750 pounds wet. I haven't actually ridden an 1100 or 1300 - only sat them. Love my Roadstar.

Annie
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

I put up the duplicate thread in case of different readers between the groups. Sorry.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 03:20 PM

Depends which V Star you're talking about. The 1300 is liquid cooled, while the Road Star is air cooled. Next biggest difference that comes to mind for me is that the cruising RPMs of the Road Star are SIGNIFICANTLY lower than the V Stars.

My 1600 just rumbles and bumbles happily along at 70 mph. It makes me imagine a big 'ole grizzly bear, poking around looking for something to snack on. Always having some enormous power on reserve, available at a moment's notice. The V Star's higher RPMs make them seem like they're in a hurry at highway speeds. Just my $0.02.

I've scraped my Roady's foot boards a number of times in the twisties, and I suspect that's less of an issue on the rest of the Star family, although some adjustment of the suspension will probably assist me in the matter. Scraping those things has this visceral, nails on chalkboard feeling for me. It makes me cringe even when I know it's about to happen.

The better question to be asking, is probably what kind of riding you're planning on doing. Your current bike is definitely more similar to the V Stars than the Road Star. I bought one because I WANTED the differences I could expect from the Roadie. YMMV.

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

2003 XVS650A V Star Classic
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

I ride to work and back which is a 40mile commute one way, with the occasional rides on weekends.

Most is not interstate riding, but there is some from time to time.

Is the floor boards scrapping because the road stars are lower?

Guess I am just wondering what the differences are being that I am still new to riding(3rd year).

Thank you,

Steve
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicorncomputer View Post
I ride to work and back which is a 40mile commute one way, with the occasional rides on weekends.

Most is not interstate riding, but there is some from time to time.

Is the floor boards scrapping because the road stars are lower?

Guess I am just wondering what the differences are being that I am still new to riding(3rd year).

Thank you,

Steve
I think quite a bit of it might just be the weight. When I roll off the throttle at 70 on my V Star, it slows down to 55 in no time. Big Ruby maintains that inertia and I end up hitting the corner with a little more speed than I would on the other bike.

It just feels less agile to me, but a more experienced rider won't have the problem, I'm sure.
The Road Star just takes more skills in the twisties.

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pangea33 View Post
The V Star's higher RPMs make them seem like they're in a hurry at highway speeds. Just my $0.02.

I've scraped my Roady's foot boards a number of times in the twisties, and I suspect that's less of an issue on the rest of the Star family,
I only have limited V Star experience but here's my input:

I catch myself wishing my 99 1100 Custom had a 6th gear...just feels lacking

My boards are constantly scraping...but I come from sportbikes so my lean is I would say...excessive
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1madman View Post
My boards are constantly scraping...but I come from sportbikes so my lean is I would say...excessive
Your username made me laugh after reading that sentence.

It's actually reassuring to know that so many people scrape the boards. It is such a grating noise that I was afraid I was hurting something. Some guy at my work said "I've pretty much grinded mine off, Bro."

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 09:28 AM

Honestly the only one that can tell which they would like best is you. We don't know what kind of riding you plan, what is comfortable for you, what ergonomics you prefer......all we can do is offer an opinion totally biased by the things we happen to think are important to us....not you.

The only way to tell which bike is best for you is to go ride them......they are both great bikes.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 06:26 PM

I feel the 1100 is underpowered and under geared. But thats just me. I cant stand taking my 1100 on the freeway, but love it for cruises through the backroads. If it just had one more thing, Id wish for a 6th gear. God knows I try to hit 6th gear enough!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode