brake light question 950 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

brake light question 950

Hi everyone . Was wondering if anyone knows the brake color diagram of a 2010 950 . I bought a pair of saddlebags with taillights , just not sure how to hook them up . Thank you for your time .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 08:02 PM

Typically you will see a simple ground and 2 positives going to a break light. Just be careful splicing into the electric system of a motorcycle because sometimes they do not like high pull additions.

If it were me I would use the wires that lead to the brake light and split them so that your bags automatically get the signal to stop. You can use a circuit light or multimeter to determine which wire activates the break.

That general information should help unless Yamaha has decided to make things more complicated
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply . I am a little worried about splicing into the wiring . I may just have someone do it for me . It is probably very easy to do , but I don't want to mess anything up . Thanks again for your help !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

the yellow wire is the brake wire

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Bevo , I really would like to do this myself . This is my understanding of how to it . Remove positive from battery terminal . Splice into yellow wire , add three wires of same gauge thickness with female bullet terminals from the harness side of wre . Add three wire with male bullets to the brake side ( back side ) . Shrink wrap connections . Do the same for the ground wires .? Or do I need to find a ground spot on bike to attach to ? Do you know the color of the ground wire ? Should I add a bigger fuse to brake in the fuse box ?
Thank you for your time .
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdiggs View Post
Thanks Bevo , I really would like to do this myself . This is my understanding of how to it . Remove positive from battery terminal . Splice into yellow wire , add three wires of same gauge thickness with female bullet terminals from the harness side of wre . Add three wire with male bullets to the brake side ( back side ) . Shrink wrap connections . Do the same for the ground wires .? Or do I need to find a ground spot on bike to attach to ? Do you know the color of the ground wire ? Should I add a bigger fuse to brake in the fuse box ?
Thank you for your time .
I would do the same for the ground wire. More secure that way. If you only have one ground wire coming out you can put all three together.

Do not add a bigger fuse, the fuse there is designated for the amperage that the system can take.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much Mromaus .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode