Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1300 valve adjustment

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  M'Lady 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a link to a video that shows how to adjust the valves on a 1300? I want to see just how tough it is.

Thanks

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#2 ·
No idea how hard it is on a 1300 but I just did it on the 1100 for the first time. It helps A LOT to have someone around who knows what they are doing. I would have screwed it up completely without help. Also, you need a few specialized pieces of equipment - do you have all that stuff on hand?

The actual adjustment is pretty easy if you know what you are doing...

#5 ·
Well be prepared for a long day... the engine needs to be cold when you do this.

You will be removing the tank (on the 1100 that means removing the seats) and the airbox. Next you remove the spark plugs. Then you take off the valve covers and remove two bolts on the engine cover. Then you rotate the crankshaft until the valves on one cylinder are both closed (you can tell because they will move slightly with finger pressure) and stick in the measuring tool. Adjust as necessary both front and back to spec. Move onto the other cylinder and repeat. Put the bike back together in reverse. I would watch any valve adjustment video for a V-twin on Youtube. The general concept will be the same and the specifics for your bike will be in your manual.

Good luck and have fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.