changing my oil? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

changing my oil?

I changed the oil in my 950 after watching a youtube video. My owners manual calls for 4.1 quarts. Is the .1 worth buying another quart? I think My wife's 650 calls for 2.9 quarts. Why can't Yamaha just go with 4 quart or 3 quarts? Is this a product of not using the metric system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymcfly View Post
I changed the oil in my 950 after watching a youtube video. My owners manual calls for 4.1 quarts. Is the .1 worth buying another quart? I think My wife's 650 calls for 2.9 quarts. Why can't Yamaha just go with 4 quart or 3 quarts? Is this a product of not using the metric system?
Can't speak to the 950, but the service manual for my 650 calls for 2.7 quarts for a "periodic oil change" but exactly 3 quarts when replacing the filter.

My Roadstar service manual calls for 4.3 quarts with an oil change, but literally thousands of people on the Internet assure me in multiple forums, that this is too much oil. In fact it takes exactly 4 quarts.

The bulk of the oil in the Roadstar sits in a sump which gives some freedom of range. You might want to do some checking and see what Google says. I don't want to give you advice that contradicts your manual, but I contradict my manual every time I change the oil in my Roadie. So do a lot of other people with 150,000+ miles on their Roadies too.

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

2003 XVS650A V Star Classic
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

i've only ever put in 4 quarts when changing my oil. i always change out the oil filter as well. if you don't change the filter, you could probably put in about 4.5 quarts.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
i've only ever put in 4 quarts when changing my oil. i always change out the oil filter as well. if you don't change the filter, you could probably put in about 4.5 quarts.
You've obviously been here for a ton of time, but did you mistype possibly? The filter holds some oil in it. Using an extra half-quart when NOT replacing the filter doesn't seem quite right to me.

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

2003 XVS650A V Star Classic
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

i don't know how much more since i always change out my filter. i think the engine has a 4.4 quart capacity. the point is, 4 quarts is fine.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode