Photos of my lowers - NO Buffeting - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Photos of my lowers - NO Buffeting

Lots of posts in here about buffeting so thought I would share photos of my Memphis Shades lowers on my V Star 1300 and maybe help some people, using this as a starting point to get their lowers set up and get rid of ALL buffeting.
The photographer insisted I put his photo at the end of the slide show.

Stats -
1. My height - 5'11"
2. Windshield is a stock Yami 19" Med Windshield. (19" from the top of the headlight cutout)
3. Memphis Shades Lowers

FACT - I NEVER, EVER, HAVE BUFFETING.
When I bought the bike buffeting was horrible, then I bought the Memphis Shades, guess I got lucky and lots of thought, anyway less then an hour installation and I never had buffeting nor have I had to adjust them.

I THINK, maybe people try to install lowers fitted up tight to the windshield, I intentionally left a pretty big gap, simply because I wanted air, clean air, it worked perfect. (Photos 13,14,17 show how big that gap is)
Think of the lowers as air deflectors, deflect the air around you, don't try to stop it, its not possible, think of it this way, in your car, turn on your A/C, turn the vents so the air just brushes over your armpits, shoulders, over the top and side of your head.

I get a steady stream of clean air from between the gap of the lowers and windshield that comes up around armpit height over my shoulders and over the top of my helmet.
Like I say, I got lucky, but I did give it thought, my objective was to get a smooth steady stream of air not block it all off because that is impossible, in fact, trying to block it all off is what creates buffeting.

ANYWAY I NEVER have any buffeting issues, never feel unsettling turbulence, well up to 90 MPH anyway.

Here are photos, hope they help someone ...
http://share.shutterfly.com/view/fla...8AYt27NuzbN25H

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

"debt is dumb, cash is king" ... http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Last edited by alarmguy; 06-14-2014 at 07:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 08:54 AM

Thanks for posting pictures. Set up is not much different than what I have. I am using Bucks lowers and it doesn't seem to make any difference where or how I position them. The buffeting is still there. I have the standard tall (23 inch) windshield and I also bought a 19 inch Cee Bailey. Doesn't seem to make much difference which shield is on the bike. I prefer to look over that's why I bought the Cee Bailey. I did get some improvement by jury rigging the Buck lowers and moved them down about 4 inches. I am only 5-8 and have new Nolan N104 with a Sena communicator on the side of the helmet. The Sena may contribute some to the buffeting. I am going to take the module off and ride without it today to see if that is part of the cause. Looking at MS Fork Deflectors or going with the Star Deluxe fairing, but don't really want to spend the money on either without some idea if the buffeting will go away. Love the bike, hate the buffeting.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 09:09 AM

Buffeting is limited on my set up as well. Well, it was. I had the medium screen and Harley lowers mounted high. THEN, i added the passings lamps and i have buffeting again. Im going to try a set mounted lower. Back to figuring out what will work now. I think its dependent on a persons height, seat type, windscreen, and a few other things.

Last edited by StarShipTrooper; 06-15-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 09:27 PM

sorry, can't seem to get the link to the pictures to work. am i the only one that it does not work.?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstensland View Post
sorry, can't seem to get the link to the pictures to work. am i the only one that it does not work.?
Just guessing, but it may have something to do with Adobe Flash (or the lack of it). I can view the pics on my desktop computer (which has Adobe Flash loaded), but I cannot view them on my I-Pad (which doesn't have Adobe Flash).
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alarmguy View Post
Lots of posts in here about buffeting so thought I would share photos of my Memphis Shades lowers on my V Star 1300 and maybe help some people, using this as a starting point to get their lowers set up and get rid of ALL buffeting.
The photographer insisted I put his photo at the end of the slide show.

Stats -
1. My height - 5'11"
2. Windshield is a stock Yami 19" Med Windshield. (19" from the top of the headlight cutout)
3. Memphis Shades Lowers

FACT - I NEVER, EVER, HAVE BUFFETING.
When I bought the bike buffeting was horrible, then I bought the Memphis Shades, guess I got lucky and lots of thought, anyway less then an hour installation and I never had buffeting nor have I had to adjust them.

I THINK, maybe people try to install lowers fitted up tight to the windshield, I intentionally left a pretty big gap, simply because I wanted air, clean air, it worked perfect. (Photos 13,14,17 show how big that gap is)
Think of the lowers as air deflectors, deflect the air around you, don't try to stop it, its not possible, think of it this way, in your car, turn on your A/C, turn the vents so the air just brushes over your armpits, shoulders, over the top and side of your head.

I get a steady stream of clean air from between the gap of the lowers and windshield that comes up around armpit height over my shoulders and over the top of my helmet.
Like I say, I got lucky, but I did give it thought, my objective was to get a smooth steady stream of air not block it all off because that is impossible, in fact, trying to block it all off is what creates buffeting.

ANYWAY I NEVER have any buffeting issues, never feel unsettling turbulence, well up to 90 MPH anyway.

Here are photos, hope they help someone ...
http://share.shutterfly.com/view/fla...8AYt27NuzbN25H
Doug,

Just to confirm, you have not made any adjustments to the tilt of the windshield, is that correct?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 09:58 AM

If you're using iPad just install the Puffin free browser. I just cut and paste to it and it will show Flash content. I just tested the above link and it works just fine. I think it uses a proxy and doesn't work 24/7 but it should do ya good.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode