Starter clutch on the way to die? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Starter clutch on the way to die?

http://youtu.be/3gXMG7WJkrY - video with sound

Had the bike for about a year, was like that when i bought it, BUT, i was a new star owner, and did not know about this starter issue before i was reading new owner stuff about a week after i bought it.
So, I've been treating it good, and not been riding to far with it since i got it.. big question is, is this gonna cost me like to many bucks?

The repeat Clunks are edited in so ya'll can hear the clunk without rewind the vid.. it is not engine that makes the repeats

TPS problems? and just to adjust
or more serious like starter clutch change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 06:52 PM

Check that the TPS is in range and ride it. Nothing to worry about. I've heard much worse and those bikes are still on the road with 150,000+ on the original starter clutch.

Just use the right starting procedures and you'll be just fine.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 07:26 PM

Garage
I agree with Mick. My 1100 does this also since I've had it.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 07:32 PM

I think that is a normal sound for an 1100.
My 03 has done that since day one.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks.
I don't have a tachometer, but been riding metric bikes since '88, so i'll guess i can adjust the rpm pretty ok, before i do the ohm testing on the tps. Just have to get one.
Is the TPS under the tank or seat on my bike? vstar 1100 classic, 2004 mod.

Been a little worried. The bike has had a lot of TLC the last year. I bought risers, cables, screen, did drive shaft service, new tyres, engine guard, some paint work, adjusted valves, extra chrome, new V&H mufflers, made soft bags to hard bags, and then i started to read about tps and started clutch. First bike i ever did some "serious" self service on (thanks to vstar wiki!! THANKS). so i'm still learning. Cus of the "Clunk" and the start problems when it is warm and all warnings about starter clutch i've been almost only on it in the garage this year, hardly any rides, only fixing, and was almost ready to take it to the yamaha dealer to change starter clutch. And the pricing here in scandinava are horrible (used 2004 vstar classic is $14 000) Changing starter clutch and a general service would cost me $2000. And parts.. if u look at OEM parts from bikebandit, and add price time 8 PLUS 25% in tax, u have my price. (and the waiting time) Can take up to one month or more, to get something simple as a o-ring
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 07:57 AM

I know what sound the bike will make when the starter clutch goes out and that's not it. Mine made loud metallic noises when the starter engaged and disengaged. The cost was 850.00 to have done by a dealership.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varg View Post
Ok, thanks.
I don't have a tachometer, but been riding metric bikes since '88, so i'll guess i can adjust the rpm pretty ok, before i do the ohm testing on the tps. Just have to get one.
A tach is really not optional. If you don't have one, you're not really testing, your guessing. Just pick up a Tiny Tach TT2A and you'll be set.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mick View Post
A tach is really not optional. If you don't have one, you're not really testing, your guessing. Just pick up a Tiny Tach TT2A and you'll be set.
Will buy a cheap 4 stroke tach for about $25. Only one i could find under 50 bucks.
Tried tachometers on the phone, worked perfect in the car not on the bike with that loud V&H pipes.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 11:34 AM

Starter clutch warning !!

I am in the middle of doing this repair, and have had an issue with the new style damper, and with a rattling noise after starting the bike and letting it warm up. First I thought it was coming from the damper, so I pulled at all apart to see how it works. It is simply another clutch, with friction plates and discs, and belville washers to keep pressure on it. I assembled it a little differently by flipping the bellville washers over, as this seemed to make it all fit tighter and eliminate the looseness between the two gears. Well, the rattle is still there when I run the bike, and now the damper slips sometimes after the bike warms up. I just found info on another vstar forum that I think will sole my rattle. There is a washer that was stuck to the old starter clutch gear that I and apparently others failed to install in the new starter clutch on assembly. I just ran out to the garage and lo and behold there is the washer they are talking about. I am not sure what I will do with the damper. I am thinking I will use the old one, which is actually called an idler gear. I dont trust this damper after seeing how it is put together, and after seeing your post about others having problems with it slipping. I did install the clutch with the bigger rollers, and I now know ow to properly start my bike to prevent some of the wear on the clutch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode