Different take on air box mod 1300 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
rmccutchan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 810
Different take on air box mod 1300

I chose to drill four 1" holes in the back/bottom of the air box as apposed to a bunch of little holes. I figured it would be easy to find plugs to insert into the hole in case I didn't want to leave it that way. That should be about 3 square inches, so I don't know if that is enough to do much good. I haven't had much chance to really test it out, but it seems to be a little easier to roll on the throttle from the closed position without such a sudden jerk. Seems to have more get up and go too, but not a major difference, but it does remind me of the way the Rochester Quadrajet sounded on the 350 in my '77 Regal!

I have a K&N filter, drilled baffle plate in exhaust (cat converter is still in place) and a Vance and Hines Fuel Pak to manage it. Here's a couple of pictures to see where the holes were drilled. You can't see two of the holes when the box is mounted, and the other two are hard to see unless you are looking for them.






rmccutchan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 05:24 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SW VA
Posts: 5
I also drilled 1" holes 2 in front and 2 on back side and used those pre filters works great
Flash4 is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
rmccutchan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash4 View Post
I also drilled 1" holes 2 in front and 2 on back side and used those pre filters works great
Pre filters? You mean like foam mesh? That would definitely help keep bugs out.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
rmccutchan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 09:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Boob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Missouri
Posts: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmccutchan View Post
I chose to drill four 1" holes in the back/bottom of the air box as apposed to a bunch of little holes. I figured it would be easy to find plugs to insert into the hole in case I didn't want to leave it that way. That should be about 3 square inches, so I don't know if that is enough to do much good. I haven't had much chance to really test it out, but it seems to be a little easier to roll on the throttle from the closed position without such a sudden jerk. Seems to have more get up and go too, but not a major difference, but it does remind me of the way the Rochester Quadrajet sounded on the 350 in my '77 Regal!

I have a K&N filter, drilled baffle plate in exhaust (cat converter is still in place) and a Vance and Hines Fuel Pak to manage it. Here's a couple of pictures to see where the holes were drilled. You can't see two of the holes when the box is mounted, and the other two are hard to see unless you are looking for them.






Honestly do u think the fuel pak is doing anything? I too have the modded airbox/exhaust on my 950. I drilled 2 2" holes on either sides and am running a straight pipe exhaust. I have NO processor just stock ecu. The dealer and various mechanics I know told me I didn't need one until I went with bigger diameter pipes. Also that the mods to the air box were in no way close to that of a true BAC. Just curious if you can tell or of its just a precaution for you?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

BLUE BIKE CLUB


09' Vstar "frankenstar" 950
modded air kit w/k&n filter
Custom homemade exhaust
Saddle bags
Highway bars
Handmade side mount license plate
Handmade floorboard extensions
10" apes
Removed turn signals
Blue led accents
Boob is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 09:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Boob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Missouri
Posts: 426
Also....consider putting some holes in the areas marked. Closer to the filter and drawing in outside air rather than hot air from the motor.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1403230914853.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	32657  

BLUE BIKE CLUB


09' Vstar "frankenstar" 950
modded air kit w/k&n filter
Custom homemade exhaust
Saddle bags
Highway bars
Handmade side mount license plate
Handmade floorboard extensions
10" apes
Removed turn signals
Blue led accents
Boob is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
rmccutchan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boob View Post
Honestly do u think the fuel pak is doing anything? .............Just curious if you can tell or of its just a precaution for you?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Partly a precaution and partly to smooth out the jerky throttle response at low speed, but the motor has to be running cooler because the fan rarely comes on now. Now it doesn't matter what I change, the processor will sufficiently compensate. I plan on changing exhaust soon. Besides, my brother was a supervisor at Vance and Hines, so I got it at his cost, which was REAL cheap! :-) I wanted to buy it before he left.


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
rmccutchan is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 07:08 AM
Senior Member
 
Boob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Missouri
Posts: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmccutchan View Post
Partly a precaution and partly to smooth out the jerky throttle response at low speed, but the motor has to be running cooler because the fan rarely comes on now. Now it doesn't matter what I change, the processor will sufficiently compensate. I plan on changing exhaust soon. Besides, my brother was a supervisor at Vance and Hines, so I got it at his cost, which was REAL cheap! :-) I wanted to buy it before he left.


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Nice on the family discount. See my 950 doesn't have the jerky throttle so o don't know that struggle. I'll get one for sure once I (if I) get bigger pipes. I like my drag pipe now so....anyways, where I got my holes made a big diff fast. Its allowing cooler air in right below the filter. Thinking about adding a few more.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

BLUE BIKE CLUB


09' Vstar "frankenstar" 950
modded air kit w/k&n filter
Custom homemade exhaust
Saddle bags
Highway bars
Handmade side mount license plate
Handmade floorboard extensions
10" apes
Removed turn signals
Blue led accents
Boob is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
rmccutchan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 810
yeah, I like discounts :-) I was trying to put the holes where they aren't readily visible, and I thought the two on the bottom would bring in cool air, plus the upper left hole isn't terribly close to the motor. I'll put it through the paces and decide if I need more.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
rmccutchan is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 09:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Boob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Missouri
Posts: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmccutchan View Post
yeah, I like discounts :-) I was trying to put the holes where they aren't readily visible, and I thought the two on the bottom would bring in cool air, plus the upper left hole isn't terribly close to the motor. I'll put it through the paces and decide if I need more.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Can't see em from looking straight at bike. And mine are 2" holes. But yea u may find that's enough that u have there....

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1403273304554.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	32666  

BLUE BIKE CLUB


09' Vstar "frankenstar" 950
modded air kit w/k&n filter
Custom homemade exhaust
Saddle bags
Highway bars
Handmade side mount license plate
Handmade floorboard extensions
10" apes
Removed turn signals
Blue led accents
Boob is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 02:02 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SW VA
Posts: 5
I used these pre filters http://www.amazon.com/Uni-Filter-UFV.../dp/B0022ZN76K

Works well keeps the crud out.
Flash4 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome