Different take on air box mod 1300 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Different take on air box mod 1300

I chose to drill four 1" holes in the back/bottom of the air box as apposed to a bunch of little holes. I figured it would be easy to find plugs to insert into the hole in case I didn't want to leave it that way. That should be about 3 square inches, so I don't know if that is enough to do much good. I haven't had much chance to really test it out, but it seems to be a little easier to roll on the throttle from the closed position without such a sudden jerk. Seems to have more get up and go too, but not a major difference, but it does remind me of the way the Rochester Quadrajet sounded on the 350 in my '77 Regal!

I have a K&N filter, drilled baffle plate in exhaust (cat converter is still in place) and a Vance and Hines Fuel Pak to manage it. Here's a couple of pictures to see where the holes were drilled. You can't see two of the holes when the box is mounted, and the other two are hard to see unless you are looking for them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 05:24 PM

I also drilled 1" holes 2 in front and 2 on back side and used those pre filters works great
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash4 View Post
I also drilled 1" holes 2 in front and 2 on back side and used those pre filters works great
Pre filters? You mean like foam mesh? That would definitely help keep bugs out.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmccutchan View Post
I chose to drill four 1" holes in the back/bottom of the air box as apposed to a bunch of little holes. I figured it would be easy to find plugs to insert into the hole in case I didn't want to leave it that way. That should be about 3 square inches, so I don't know if that is enough to do much good. I haven't had much chance to really test it out, but it seems to be a little easier to roll on the throttle from the closed position without such a sudden jerk. Seems to have more get up and go too, but not a major difference, but it does remind me of the way the Rochester Quadrajet sounded on the 350 in my '77 Regal!

I have a K&N filter, drilled baffle plate in exhaust (cat converter is still in place) and a Vance and Hines Fuel Pak to manage it. Here's a couple of pictures to see where the holes were drilled. You can't see two of the holes when the box is mounted, and the other two are hard to see unless you are looking for them.

Honestly do u think the fuel pak is doing anything? I too have the modded airbox/exhaust on my 950. I drilled 2 2" holes on either sides and am running a straight pipe exhaust. I have NO processor just stock ecu. The dealer and various mechanics I know told me I didn't need one until I went with bigger diameter pipes. Also that the mods to the air box were in no way close to that of a true BAC. Just curious if you can tell or of its just a precaution for you?

BLUE BIKE CLUB

09' Vstar "frankenstar" 950
modded air kit w/k&n filter
Custom homemade exhaust
Saddle bags
Highway bars
Handmade side mount license plate
Handmade floorboard extensions
10" apes
Removed turn signals
Blue led accents
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 09:21 PM

Also....consider putting some holes in the areas marked. Closer to the filter and drawing in outside air rather than hot air from the motor.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1403230914853.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	32657  

BLUE BIKE CLUB

Custom homemade exhaust
Saddle bags
Highway bars
10" apes
Removed turn signals
Blue led accents
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boob View Post
Honestly do u think the fuel pak is doing anything? .............Just curious if you can tell or of its just a precaution for you?

Partly a precaution and partly to smooth out the jerky throttle response at low speed, but the motor has to be running cooler because the fan rarely comes on now. Now it doesn't matter what I change, the processor will sufficiently compensate. I plan on changing exhaust soon. Besides, my brother was a supervisor at Vance and Hines, so I got it at his cost, which was REAL cheap! :-) I wanted to buy it before he left.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Partly a precaution and partly to smooth out the jerky throttle response at low speed, but the motor has to be running cooler because the fan rarely comes on now. Now it doesn't matter what I change, the processor will sufficiently compensate. I plan on changing exhaust soon. Besides, my brother was a supervisor at Vance and Hines, so I got it at his cost, which was REAL cheap! :-) I wanted to buy it before he left.

Nice on the family discount. See my 950 doesn't have the jerky throttle so o don't know that struggle. I'll get one for sure once I (if I) get bigger pipes. I like my drag pipe now so....anyways, where I got my holes made a big diff fast. Its allowing cooler air in right below the filter. Thinking about adding a few more.

BLUE BIKE CLUB

Custom homemade exhaust
Saddle bags
Highway bars
10" apes
Removed turn signals
Blue led accents
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

yeah, I like discounts :-) I was trying to put the holes where they aren't readily visible, and I thought the two on the bottom would bring in cool air, plus the upper left hole isn't terribly close to the motor. I'll put it through the paces and decide if I need more.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
yeah, I like discounts :-) I was trying to put the holes where they aren't readily visible, and I thought the two on the bottom would bring in cool air, plus the upper left hole isn't terribly close to the motor. I'll put it through the paces and decide if I need more.

Can't see em from looking straight at bike. And mine are 2" holes. But yea u may find that's enough that u have there....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1403273304554.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	32666  

BLUE BIKE CLUB

Custom homemade exhaust
Saddle bags
Highway bars
10" apes
Removed turn signals
Blue led accents
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 02:02 PM

I used these pre filters http://www.amazon.com/Uni-Filter-UFV.../dp/B0022ZN76K

Works well keeps the crud out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode