I swapped my 1300 Front Belt Pulley out for a Stryker Front Belt Pulley - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

I swapped my 1300 Front Belt Pulley out for a Stryker Front Belt Pulley

Ok, I am thrilled and have been posting ALL over the place.
I Swapped out my 1300 Tourer OEM Front Belt Pulley for a Stryker OEM Front Belt pulley.

My speedo is now much more accurate, my RPMs at a TRUE GPS 77MPH are down to around 3,550 from 3,850.
Im in love with my bike all over again! I do a lot of higher speed riding/interstate and started wishing for a sixth gear, this solution and made me very happy for now.

RESULTS _

This is written in stone.

1. OEM pulley - indicated speed of 84/85 MPH = GPS speed of 77 MPH and you are turning 3800/3900 RPMs.

2. Stryker pulley - Indicated speed of 80/81 MPH = GPS speed of 77 MPH and you are turning 3500/3600 RPMs.

Speaks for itself!

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

"debt is dumb, cash is king" ... http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 05:39 PM

I'm intrigued. Couple of questions: Does the stock belt still fit? How much adjustment for belt tension do you have left? What about the big jump from first to second gear...... does it lug much? My guess is that you don't use fifth gear much until you settle in on the highway.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 06:25 PM

Id love to know more too! How the install went (how to install), how long etc. Ive always thought my 1300 had high rpms at hi way speeds.

2008/ 1300 V Star
Kuryakyn Pro R hypercharger
Road Burner 2.5" Street Pros
Dyno-Jet fuel processor
Yamaha OEM Passing lamps
Yamaha OEM highway bars Kuryakyn pegs
Tsukayu Strong JUMBO hard bags
Wicked Lightening green LED's
Kuryakyn Triple Whammy
RecklessMotorcycles fairing w/Rockford Fosgate amp
Klock Werk 6.5" windshield

V&H Big Shots for sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmccutchan View Post
I'm intrigued. Couple of questions: Does the stock belt still fit? How much adjustment for belt tension do you have left? What about the big jump from first to second gear...... does it lug much? My guess is that you don't use fifth gear much until you settle in on the highway.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
(ok, running out of time, have to get to work, long day coming up today ... so here we go, feel free to ask, will check later today nor night)

1. Yes, the stock belt fits perfectly fine and plenty of room for adjustment.

2. The big jump first to second, I cant answer that one. I never really have felt an issue with the lower gears so I dont know what to say, I dont want to say there is no issue if someone or many others are already feeling an issue then that issue will be slightly increased with a Stryker pulley. I SUSPECT but unsure, that many might be shifting early on this bike simply because the speedo is off a gross 10% to fast but I dont know, I do know with the new pulley you are now off less then half that, as close as some automobiles.

3. I notice now I now shift into 5th gear at around GPS speed of 63 to 68 MPH. I like to use GPS speed because its the only thing that is a benchmark. Remember, after the pulley swap, your speedo erroe is cut in half, from 9% to about 4%, thats quite a bit, youll have to remember that riding down the highway now. I used to run at an upper 85 MPH indicated which was a true GPS 77. Now I have to keep that in mind if I dont have my GPS on, because at an indicated 80 I am now running 76/77! If I ran it up to 85 like I used to I would be at 80 or 81 in a 70 speed limit. *L*

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneypit View Post
Id love to know more too! How the install went (how to install), how long etc. Ive always thought my 1300 had high rpms at hi way speeds.
I had the pulley swapped at the same time as a new rear Commander II tire put on, this way almost all the work is done. Meaning it takes more time to remove the rear wheel and belt then the swap.
I had a shop do it, they charged $40 extra to swap the pulley.
It really only involves taking the screws out of the front pulley cover and then (from what I hear) needing a power ratchet to take off the ONE pulley nut which is tightened to 100 FT LBS. Or something like that. Someone who removes their own rear wheel could do it easy if they can get the nut off. I dont know anyone to help and never removed the rear wheel so not comfortable doing it.

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 11:45 PM

fyi.. 100ft/lbs is nothing. Same as the lugnuts on your car
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken448 View Post
fyi.. 100ft/lbs is nothing. Same as the lugnuts on your car
Good point! I never thought about that.

I was going on what I read, others have said who swapped the pulley themselves and others who have tried before I had mine done.
I did think to myself, its only one bolt, how bad could it be unless some kind of "locktight" is used on it. ( one person did mention locktight but have no idea if that is true or a guess)

I dont know, anyway, for me and no one to help, having my shop do it for $40. while they changed the tire was well worth it.

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

Last edited by alarmguy; 06-26-2014 at 06:24 AM.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 07:28 AM

40 isnt bad to have it done though. I even wonder if it is pressed onto the main shaft, and therefore you need a pulley puller to remove it once its "loose"
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
40 isnt bad to have it done though. I even wonder if it is pressed onto the main shaft, and therefore you need a pulley puller to remove it once its "loose"
Another good point and I would have had to buy a 40mm or something socket and I never adjusted or removed a rear wheel plus I was getting a tire put on. I do know some have done it and I think it's easy if someone wants to do it themself.

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
I can't say about the 1300 but the Road Star pulley is definitely not pressed on. It's on a splined shaft and once the nut is off, the pulley will just slide off.

BLUE BIKE CLUB

2008 ROAD STAR

2008 KAWASAKI KLR 650

2014 Triumph Tiger 800 XC

My ride videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/roadstarblue/videos

Never run out of traction, ideas, and real estate at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode