Dim headlight issue on turns/curves - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Question Dim headlight issue on turns/curves

So if I ride around a curve with my brights on, it's just fine. If I have my dims on, I can't see around the curve. It's like someone has their hand over the top of the headlight. Anyone else have this issue? Eventually I'm going to replace the whole thing, as I think it looks too small in the first place, but I'm curious as to if I can fix the problem in the meantime

1999 V-Star 1100 Custom with driver backrest, all studded leather (seats, bags, backrests, etc), hole saw exhaust mod (1-7/8" hole bit), windshield, MaxAir Engineering air intake (pod filters with crossover), Jet kit with predator needles (145 and 142.5 main jets and 117.5 pilots), fuel/air mixture thumb screws, Linby Linbar highway bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 05:12 PM

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

I have no problem seeing on strait roads. I've already adjusted my headlight so I can see strait down the road. I've even tried adjusting it way high to see if that fixed the problem... And it didn't. It DID get the high berms flashed at me by everyone I met though lol

1999 V-Star 1100 Custom with driver backrest, all studded leather (seats, bags, backrests, etc), hole saw exhaust mod (1-7/8" hole bit), windshield, MaxAir Engineering air intake (pod filters with crossover), Jet kit with predator needles (145 and 142.5 main jets and 117.5 pilots), fuel/air mixture thumb screws, Linby Linbar highway bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 06:49 PM

i see your lites are like a horozontal plane.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Exactly!! I would like to assume I'm not the only one with this issue

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 03:36 PM

And you are not the only one,dfraser. I replaced my head lamp blulb with a higher watt Xenón bulb. 12v 100/80 bulb that I bought at an outo parts store. I do not have any issues with the road in front of me. I would like more side lite but I think that is another Project called "Side Lamps on my crach bars"
Keep the rubber side down.

My feet on the pegs and lots of time to go where the road leads.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 06:59 PM

Put on a Classic headlight......

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick – 6* Tree - 2" extended forks – 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock – Pods – Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la madrugada View Post
And you are not the only one,dfraser. I replaced my head lamp blulb with a higher watt Xenón bulb. 12v 100/80 bulb that I bought at an outo parts store. I do not have any issues with the road in front of me. I would like more side lite but I think that is another Project called "Side Lamps on my crach bars"
Keep the rubber side down.
This is exactly what I will recommend, also check the inside of the headlight and make sure the reflector is clean and not damaged.

87' 1100 Sportster (caffeine runner)
05' 1100 Custom Midnight Edition
07' 1300 V Star Tourer
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

What is the difference in classic vs custom headlights? I figured they'd be the same thing

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 04:08 PM

The classic headlight is bigger in diameter.

87' 1100 Sportster (caffeine runner)
05' 1100 Custom Midnight Edition
07' 1300 V Star Tourer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode