07 V Star 650 issues after jet kit fail - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy 07 V Star 650 issues after jet kit fail

I'll attempt to keep this short. I have a 2007 V Star 650 Classic, Cobra slash cut slip on exhaust and stock air.

Due to decel poping, I disabled AIS, which helped w/75% of the issue. After reading many threads about this issue, I got a Dyno Jet Stage 1 jet kit. (Yes I know, I could have just got jets for a lot less. Read those posts after it was too late).

I installed needle jets and main jets as instructions, double checking twice before buttoning up. Set PMS screws to 3 rotations out as per instructions.

Everything seemed to work ok at first, until first test ride. With bike warm and after riding for about 15 minutes, came to stop light and it died waiting for the light to turn green. Strong smell of fuel, as it bike was running too rich. Bike stalled at every stop light/sign on the way home. Got home and hit the forums. After some reading, I started making slight adjustments to PMS screws. Nothing seemed to really work. It either ran too rich or wouldnt keep running at idle.

Took out everything installed for jet kit and put back in stock parts(advised from local shop). Set PMS screws to where it was before (front 1 1/2 and rear 3 1/2 rotations out). Runs better, still difficult time to maintain solid idle. Had to step up idle speed to keep running while sitting in garage. Took it for a ride and noticed that while trying to open it up between 3rd and 4th, it would fall in its face sputtering. If i let off, it cleared up. This was a first.

Im going to replace fuel filter and clean out the pilot jet holes on Monday. I've checked for air leaks, plug fouling and jets installed. I've read a lot of other threads and hope I didnt miss something. My apologies if I did.

Any other suggestions or ideas? Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 07:24 PM

Before you go back into the carbs, try a new air filter, perhaps a high flow filter like a K&N. The reason I say that is because if you putting more fuel in, you also need more air in. Gotta match the air with the fuel.

I did the same exact thing to my 650 as you did.

thanks,
Delkster

Thanks,
Todd
2011 Yamaha V-Star Custom 650 ( XVS650AB )

Southern Cruisers Chapter 017 (Southwest Al.)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Ya that makes sense Tadelk. I've replaced the air filter with a new stock one. Been avoiding doing an aftermarket since they are expensive. My other concern with after market open air kits is rain/water that might get in if I get caught out in a shower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 07:35 PM

Garage
I'm no tech or motorcycle mechanic, however I'd agree with Tadelk. Without being there myself it would seem its starving for air since the carbs and exhaust have been modified hence the stalling at lights/stop signs. Just my 1.5 cents worth and I certainly hope this helps. Please keep us updated as we all love to learn here.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Keith. I would certainly agree with the lack of air if I still had the jet kit installed. I've since put the stock needles and main jets back in. It no longer stalls at a stop, but now it just wont open up on the road with out it sputtering. As this progresses, I'll keep everyone updated. Nothing worse than posting a problem and never the end result/solution. ha ha
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 08:15 PM

if i may make a sugestion your front cylinder pms screw is set at one and a half turns out and you set your rear screw at three and a half turns out why arnt they both set the same.are they on the same bike?if i misread something i'm going to feel pretty stupid
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

The original jets are put back in and pms screws were put to where they were originally before trying out the jet kit. Since I knew from before the jet kit that the front cylinder was running lean, I've since set it to 2 rotations out. The back is now at 3 and it seems to run more smoothly. If I failed to put this crucial info in my original post, I sincerely apologize.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 09:14 PM

[url]http://650ccnd.com sorry i've been a smart ass longer than i can remember.maybe you can get some info from the link.if your front cyl. was lean at one and a half and it runs better at 2 turns out i would try both cylinders at two.as for jetting if you dont increase the amount of air going in you dont need to change jets usually you can just turn the pms screws out a little to stop popping.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

No worries Nick57, I'm a big boy and can handle it. Ya, I read about the adjustment on the pms screws with stock set up a little late. Like after purchase of jet kit that I can't use late. ha ha
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 06:18 AM

the reason for popping on decell is the slipons they amplify the sound.A stock bike pops but you cant hear it thru stock mufflers.These bikes come from the factory set up lean to meet epa rules.Opening the pms screw a little will take care of popping.if you dont increase the amount of air going in you dont change the jets.very important is to sinc the carbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode