650 Crash Bars - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

650 Crash Bars

Anybody have experience or thoughts on this guy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Guard...2ca446&vxp=mtr

I can't see myself spending $200 on a Cobra crash bar, it just seems excessive for a steel tube.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 06:14 PM

I got the Cobra engine guard for my 650 for like $160 shipped. How much do you want to spend? I just looked online and CYCLEPLICITY has the Cobra guard for like $155 shipped (to my area).

Last edited by Dave; 07-01-2014 at 06:19 PM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I got the Cobra engine guard for my 650 for like $160 shipped. How much do you want to spend? I just looked online and CYCLEPLICITY has the Cobra guard for like $155 shipped (to my area).
Can you post a link? I'm in the market and that price is better than the $165+ I found. When I went to Cycleplicity my search skills must have let me down.

2003 XVS650A Classic

Thanks!

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

2003 XVS650A V Star Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 07:03 PM

Garage
For 50 bucks to the door, they look about like the ones on my 650 that I have had for about
7year's. They have a little rust at the welds, but then the OEM bars on my 1100 has the same rust.
If all else you could put them on the shop wall and do chin-ups.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 07:19 PM

I used Google to find it. Just typed in "v star 650 cobra engine guard". The first image it shows me after doing this is the cobra engine guard from Cycleplicity. Just click on that. It's listed at like $141 plus about $14 shipping. I think the part number is 01-1201. Once you're on the Cycleplicity page, near the top you can put in you year/make/model info although it should already be for the v star 650.

I did go Cycleplicity.com directly and I couldn't understand out how to find it either. Used google and there it is again! Go figure.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 07:32 PM

Thanks. That did the trick.

It's a good price. $15ish for shipping, but next day air is only $250. Sweet deal!

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

So I'm wondering if I should pick these up for $50 or if there's a significant difference that makes the cobra worth three times the price. I mean, how hard is it to screw up a steel tube? And I will say that I'm not a cheap skate by any means, the only thing on my bike that's from E-Bay are the bar ends; everything else is "name brand".
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrip View Post
So I'm wondering if I should pick these up for $50 or if there's a significant difference that makes the cobra worth three times the price. I mean, how hard is it to screw up a steel tube? And I will say that I'm not a cheap skate by any means, the only thing on my bike that's from E-Bay are the bar ends; everything else is "name brand".
The problem is that you've got apples and oranges here. Those engine guards are DINKY. They'll probably help protect some portion of your engine bits in the event of laying down the bike, and they'll also serve to mount foot pegs.

What they won't do, is essentially everything you buy highway bars for other than giving you a place to mount some pegs. They won't prevent you from damaging your turn signals, mirrors, and levers if you accidentally lay the bike down. They also won't prop your bike up, making it easier to return to upright if it falls over.

There is probably 10x as much steel in the Cobra bars. Actual highway bars give you an entire circle of support and some level of protection, that runs from beneath the footboards all the way to the front of the gas tank. Those little engine guards are probably about 10" long.

I just upgraded from engine guards to a highway bar on my Roadstar. Here's some pictures from before the swap.

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 09:15 PM

I went with the Cobra because I liked the look more than any other engine guard. It's a one piece design and taller than the two piece (by several inches). You can see on your bike where the two piece kind attaches so that can give you an idea of the size. For me it came down to the look and the Cobra gave me what I wanted. I don't know whether or not the two piece is the same width or not. The cobra bar outside edge is about 1 inch past the outside edge of the floorboard (kinda what you want). The Cobra bar gives the bike a beefier look since it's bigger than the two piece.

Last edited by Dave; 07-01-2014 at 09:18 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Hi Dave, could you post a picture or two of your 650 with the Cobra bar on it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode