Trading in the Stryker for a 1300 Deluxe - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Trading in the Stryker for a 1300 Deluxe

So I will find out later today if they are going to be able to get me the 1300 deluxe I want, and I have been riding a Stryker for the last year or so. Rode a v-star 950 for 2 years before that.

Can anyone tell me what to expect as far as similarities or differences?

I am hoping to be able to pick up the new bike before the weekend, but then again, I have learned to never really set my heart on anything lol it saves being disappointed.

Ladies of Star member
2013 Impact Blue Roadstar Silverado S

Sometimes it's harder to challenge yourself,
then to face the challenge it's self.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 01:25 AM

Can you say a few words about why you decided to trade in the Stryker? I've been thinking about buying one (haven't ridden one yet, but really like th look). I'd love to he your view vs the Vstar 1300.

BLUE BIKE CLUB
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 11:01 AM

Traded my 950 t for a 1300 deluxe last year love it handles way better than the 950 the GPS is great. The saddle bag hold a lot can even put your half helmet in them.My wife and I ride 2up there plenty of power and the sound system is great. Can't go wrong with deluxe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 11:20 AM

I don't have knowledge of the Stryker but my 1300 Deluxe has just over 2,000 miles on it since I bought it in January.

+1 on chr950vstar said. I love mine.

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlawrence View Post
Can you say a few words about why you decided to trade in the Stryker? I've been thinking about buying one (haven't ridden one yet, but really like th look). I'd love to he your view vs the Vstar 1300.
I traded in the stryker because, while it is an awesome bike, and I rode the heck out of mine to the tune of 11k miles... It is not a comfortable long distance tourer for someone of my build.
The more I tried to modify it to make it comfortable the more uncomfortable it got.
IT IS a fun fun bike, but I need something that will really go the distance and I can spend long days in the saddle.
I actually wound up with a 2013 Roadstar Silverado S... impact blue
great bike, smooth, powerful, quiet, great handling in all sorts of conditions and roads, and plenty of amenities without feeling like I am riding a 2 wheeled car lol

Ladies of Star member

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 02:48 PM

950 and 1300 are almost the exact same bike only the 1300 is bigger and designed more for touring. Like mentioned above the 1300 is set up to go distances whereas you know the 950 had to be made to go the long haul. If I understand right a lot of the parts etc are the same and rides the same mostly. I'm getting one myself after my 950 is done. It's been 3 years now so...who knows when. Good luck and post pics asap!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

BLUE BIKE CLUB

09' Vstar "frankenstar" 950
modded air kit w/k&n filter
Custom homemade exhaust
Saddle bags
Highway bars
Handmade side mount license plate
Handmade floorboard extensions
10" apes
Removed turn signals
Blue led accents
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 02:51 PM

Just saw the part about 11k on the 950. I'm at 25k in 3 years...am I crazy but I don't think that's a lot. Lol

BLUE BIKE CLUB

09' Vstar "frankenstar" 950
modded air kit w/k&n filter
Custom homemade exhaust
Saddle bags
Highway bars
Handmade side mount license plate
Handmade floorboard extensions
10" apes
Removed turn signals
Blue led accents
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boob View Post
Just saw the part about 11k on the 950. I'm at 25k in 3 years...am I crazy but I don't think that's a lot. Lol

No that's not a lot for those that like to tour.
Silk put I think 16k on her 950 in less than two years and more than 11k on her Stryker in about 9 months I think. I have near 26k on my Stryker in 2 years and 8months. We put 12k miles in two short seasons on the old Virago 750 we had. We live in extreme mountains and are snowed in or froze in a portion of the time and have no freeways within 100+ miles in any direction of or place. When we travel we rarely take interstates it's all scenic open Hwy or back woods mountain roads.

2011 Impact Blue Stryker
Cobra Speedster Slash Downs
K&N air filter
o2 mod
OEM short backrest and pad
PCS lowering kit set at 2.25"
240 rear tire
Handle bar risers
Side mount license plate
Saddle bags
stealth slipstream shield
Wife's bike SOLD
2013 Pearl White Stryker
Wife's new bike,
2013 impact blue Roadstar Siverado S 1700cc
ISO grips
Cobra back bar and rack
studded seat covers.
Mic tassels
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlawrence View Post
We needed a better suited touring bike. Simple as that. Plus she had comfort issues with the Stryker. Also the Stryker was burning tires up at a rate of 3k to 4k miles because of where we live and at the cost of $220 each plus mounting, times two Strykers, was killing us. I have no issues with my Stryker and will keep it for life even if I get a big touring bike in the future.

We feel we now have the best bikes for both worlds.

The Stryker is a fun fast nimble muscle chopper while the Roadstar is the heavy class touring bike.

One of the problems with the Stryker for her was, it wanted to go fast and that some times was not suitable for her in tight twisties and switch backs/hairpin turns etc. in the mountains where we live. It always wants to run away with you like a wild Mustang. lol.

While the Roadstar has a lot of low end torque suited for slow speed riding like that, and it also gets up and moves out as fast as the Stryker, and then has really low rpm at freeway speeds.

The 950 was a really good bike for the slow riding as it would putter at those speeds in 2nd and 3rd gear where the Stryker can't get out of 1st until 22+ mph without lugging it.

The problem with the 950 was it got really hot under those conditions leaving my wife's thigh red from the rear cylinder and bike running rough that hot.

The Roadie runs cool all the time.

The 1300 deluxe would have been similar to the Stryker as it has the same power plant with almost the same gearing . The only difference is the one tooth in the front drive pulley.

Wife did get to test ride the 1300 Deluxe and said it was sluggish compared to the Stryker, needing to down shift more to get er going, but of course much much faster than the 950 and much easier to handle. Although similar in overall size, weight and geometry, the 950 is just and entirely different bike.

But don't sell the 950 short when it comes to it's ability to pack up and hit the open roads or super slabs.
We took that bike fully packed all over the Pacific Coast Mountains of Cali and Oregon, Also the Sierra Nevada's, Tahoe, Mammoth, Yosemite, Big Bear and the San Bernadina and San Diego Mountains as well as the deserts of Nevada and Arizona. It literally was our work horse. There were times when we fought strong head and cross winds and the wife found that 80+ mph was the 950s sweet spot for those conditions.

What's incredible about the Stryker is it has a 450 lb max load capacity, the Roadie has only a 390 lb load capacity. The stryker suspension, however, is very stiff with a 3.9" rear and 5.3" travel and the Roadie has very cushy suspension with 4.3" rear and 5.5" front. The 1300 Deluxe has the same suspension as the Stryker.
The Stryker and the 1300 are the same bike, frame, swing arm, power plant. The differences are, size rear and front tire, Stryker has a 36 degree raked in the yoke and 4 degrees in the triple trees giving it a 40 degree rake. Also has the 31 tooth front pulley for a little more mph per rpm and a more aggressive fuel mapping/tuning.

For now that's about all I can think of but feel free to ask questions, and I'm sure my wife would be more than happy to add insight from her perspective and experiences.

We did test ride the Strat Deluxe and the Raider. The Stat fell short of my expectations and both were heat monsters.

2011 Impact Blue Stryker
Cobra Speedster Slash Downs
K&N air filter
o2 mod
OEM short backrest and pad
PCS lowering kit set at 2.25"
240 rear tire
Handle bar risers
Side mount license plate
Saddle bags
stealth slipstream shield
Wife's bike SOLD
2013 Pearl White Stryker
Wife's new bike,
2013 impact blue Roadstar Siverado S 1700cc
ISO grips
Cobra back bar and rack
studded seat covers.
Mic tassels

Last edited by Toby; 07-23-2014 at 05:18 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boob View Post

LOL I owned my v-star 950 for 2 years and put 14k on it, then I traded it for the 2013 star stryker and in one year put 11k on that.

I now own my 2013 impact blue Roadstar Silverado S and it has 250 miles on it and I got it yesterday...

I LOVE this bike!

We ride our bikes more then we drive our truck...

Ladies of Star member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode