Help me find a trunk/tour pack - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Question Help me find a trunk/tour pack

I'm looking forward to a 1,350-mile trip from Colorado to southern Ohio this summer. Wondering about tour packs (hard trunks) for my 2007 V-Star 1300 with touring package. I want something large enough to hold two full-face helmets, with electric tail and/or brake lights, a chrome rack on top, a spoiler with LED lights, and wrapped with leather or vinyl to match my hard saddlebags. Any suggestions on where to find a trunk that meets these criteria? I've tried several online vendors, and even ordered one that turned out to be too small and cheap-looking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 08:51 PM

Givi has a pack that big if you have a rack large enough for it. Has turn signals, big enough for two full face helmets, removes like luggage and looks horrible on a cruiser.

Just a suggestion to get you started. A mounting adapter for your rack is required to install it. Research it, but anything 46 liters and up should genuinely fit two full face helmets with exception to large helmets. Anything large and up and I'd say 55 liter case.

Look for Givi E55 MonoKEY. It's the biggest Givi and is very rugged.

In the videos you may hear that bike specific mounts are required. That's true, but it also includes the universal mount. What they are trying to deter is just bolting it directly to your rack and defeating the quick disconnect feature to make it usable as luggage.

Has a brake light option. Black top rack option. No spoiler. Matte black option (no vinyl or leather cover).

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar

Last edited by sparkn; 07-06-2014 at 09:16 PM.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 10:00 PM

It's a lot of hassle and cost. What about wearing the helmets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 08:37 AM

For what it's worth, my 2 cents. I just returned from an 1100 mile weekend, riding 2 up. I have hard bags and a Kuryakan, "Ultra Tour" tail bag. It was more than adequate, but we pack light and it doesn't hold helmets or riding gear. We're both wearing Motoport kevlar jacket and pants with full face helmets. I use a cable lock ran through the sleeves and a pant leg then through both helmets, all is stacked on the seats. I think I'll add a roll bag to the top of the tour bag, just to carry the rain/wind liners. It's a lot of gear, but I won't go without all of it.

The saddlebags and tour bag carry enough clothes etc for a two week trip, although you may have to do laundry at some point.

Don
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 08:45 PM

One thing that has not been mentioned. Adding a tour pack / trunk to any bike will drastically alter the handling of the bike. Not only does it catch more wind, but whenever we have more storage space, we just have to fill it up. Watch the amount of weight you put in there. Adding a bunch of gear can add up very quickly, resulting in a drastic change in your center of gravity. This can result in some very odd handling characteristics if you are not used to it.

Myself, I hate tour pack or trunks and will not put one on any of my bikes. But, I am old school and learned to travel very light. If it doesn't fit in the saddle bags, then it stays home.
stratsurvivor likes this.

Dave
2005 VStar 650
1990 BMW R45
Have had many others.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 04:08 PM

Dave,
I added the Givi V47 to my 950 and it holds plenty.
I also have the biker's friend roll bag that I mount on the seat. I carry 1 half and one modular helmet.
I pack enough for 2 week trip and no laundry mats. That's an extra helmet for me and not for another passenger.

Larry (2014 950 Tour)
My google photos
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Question Need help with mounting

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	34018

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	34026

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	34034Have had a heck of a time finding/mounting an after-market trunk (top box/tour pack), as Yamaha doesn't make one. Bought a TP Extra Large Tour Pak with Wrap Around Backrest, Large Top Rack and Slimline LED Spoiler...got it online from RideBikeGear.com. Bought a Yamaha rack, and had it installed by the local Yamaha dealer. But the dealer can't figure out a way to mount the trunk on the rack! I have a trip planned...northern Colorado to southern Ohio...in less than two weeks, and am going crazy!

Photos attached show the new Yamaha rack, mounted by the local Yamaha dealer. Sorry the pics appear upside down or sideways...can't seem to correct that. A separate photo shows the after-market trunk from RideBikeGear.com. Click image for larger version

Name:	3b751f6441372b223e9825ba87063022_image_750x497.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	34042Anyone have any ideas?
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aide View Post
It's a lot of hassle and cost. What about wearing the helmets?
Aide: Hahaha! Of course we'll wear the helmets when riding; just want to store them in the trunk when we're stopped.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 07:33 AM

In looking at the rack itself, looks to me you need to loose the sissy bar and you should be fine. It appears from the pics that the trunk just clamps to the rack with brackets that are placed under the rack and screws go through the trunk and into the brackets. The fact that your rack has that raised lip may be an issue as well. If so a small wooden or aluminum spacer should solve that issue.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 08:17 AM
Lifetime Premium

The most cost-effective solution is a sissy bar bag, about $200 or a little more.

Mustang makes a really good looking hard leather-look trunk, but it's over $900 w/ hardware.

In between those price points are Givi and Shad top cases. On my V-Star 1300 I have a Shad 50L case, mounted on a Mutazu (sp?) rack I found on eBay. Total cost less than $500. Those cases can fairly easily be transferred to a different bike if needed.

Rickey G
2014 V-Star 1300 DeLuxe
2014 BMW R1200RT (Recalled/bought back)
1984 BMW R80RT (Sold)
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T (Sold)
Seven others, 6 sold, 1 wrecked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode