2012 V Star 950T Exhaust Question - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
2012 V Star 950T Exhaust Question

Hello everyone. I've been absent from the forum for several months, but I'm back on and in a new town in Oklahoma. I've put almost 7K on the bike in the first 12 months and rode it down to 15F during the winter. No problems with the bike whatsoever and I am still as happy as the first day I got on it. The wife and I loaded the bike to the max and took a 350 mile straight trip up to Omaha Nebraska late last year. Thank God for Mustang Seats.... I was still able to maintain upper 50's riding two up with sleeping bags strapped to the luggage and a big touring bag on the back. Enough about that.

My question is concerning the exhaust. The wifey doesn't want a loud exhaust that will prevent us from conversing on our Sena intercoms. Both of us have full face helmets so I wouldn't think this would be an issue. I am not concerned with power gains, and honestly I would like to keep my MPG where it is (high 50's consistently). I have searched the forums for slip on exhausts and scoured youtube listening to different options. With these things in mind would you all give me some pointers on slip on exhausts that lower the sound of the stock exhaust without waking the neighbors? I like the sound of the Rush but a couple videos have made them sound like screamers.

Here's a picture of the bike sitting in the new driveway all shined up.

2012 V Star 950 Tourer

Mods:
Memphis Shades Batwing
Yamaha Passenger Floorboards
Kuryakyn Power Point
Kuryakyn Quick Connect Cell Phone Holder
Oxford Premium Cruiser Heated Grips
Scootworks Phatriser I Risers
Cobra Powerflo Air Intake
Cobra Fi2000R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 01:45 PM

have you considered drilling your exahaust? Opens it up, but you don't get all the decibels that you do with a slip on. I had mine drilled out for months while I saved up for a full exhaust

2009 V Star 950
Cobra slash exhaust
Cobra Fuel Management
Alley Cat Air Cleaner
Low and Mean Speedo face
Low and Mean Coil Cover
Mustang Seat
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I had thought about that

I did think about that, but after viewing some youtube videos the exhaust still sounds very tinny if that makes sense. I've waited over a year after purchasing the bike to change the exhaust so the wife is happy that I haven't spent any money on it yet. I may just wait a little while longer and get a full exhaust setup....recommendations on those would be appreciated as well

2012 V Star 950 Tourer

Mods:
Memphis Shades Batwing
Kuryakyn Power Point
Cobra Fi2000R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 08:42 PM

I have a cobra slash cut slip on and have had several people stop me to ask what I was running because they liked the sound. With a full face on I can still hear my Sena with no problems. As for a full set up I was really waning a side burner because I love the deep tone, but I just couldn't justify the cost for my budget. Hope this helps. Nice ride by the way!!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

4 wheels move the body....2 wheels move the soul
2012 V Star 950 Tourer
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 11:28 PM

Batwing

Hello Stose85, I really like the way you have our bike setup, particularly that Memphis Batwing. I put a full Yamaha quick release windshield on my V950, it looks good but not as smooth as that batwing. Wish I had a suggestion for your exhaust, I'm kind of new to this motorcycle stuff, only been riding for a year now. I've put about 3700 into my VStar 950 once I figure out how to post a pic to this forum I'd appreciate your opinion of it.

THanks
MrChickonky
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank You

Thanks for the compliments on the bike guys. NC_Steve I haven't been able to find the slashcut slip on anywhere. Where did you purchase it?

MrChikonky I put on the batwing to remove the buffeting I would get on the highway. I've always been a sportbike rider so it was never a problem due to the side panels. Once I jumped on the cruiser I immediately noticed wind up my chin and it would shake my helmet back and forth. The batwing took care of the problem, and it looks pretty cool at the same time.

2012 V Star 950 Tourer

Mods:
Memphis Shades Batwing
Kuryakyn Power Point
Cobra Fi2000R
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 10:23 PM

This is the one I have. It's a slash cut style, but a billet tip. I don't remember where I bought mine, but this is also one of the cheapest prices I could find on it and the shipping is supposed to be free!

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/...15&click=55545

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

4 wheels move the body....2 wheels move the soul
2012 V Star 950 Tourer
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 09:35 AM

I put a rush on my 950 it was real loud wife had to use ear plugs. Sounds great but loud and it hard to get a rush muffler had to wait month for them to make one
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you!

Thanks guys for the good information. I think I may just save up the money and do the full exhaust, air intake, and engine mapping all at the same time. Looking at the V&H big radius two into two. The wife and I took a 300+ mile trip to Eureka Springs this weekend. Other than being a little warm, we had a blast.

2012 V Star 950 Tourer

Mods:
Memphis Shades Batwing
Kuryakyn Power Point
Cobra Fi2000R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode