19" spoke wheel for 1100 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

19" spoke wheel for 1100

im new to this site. i have an 08 1100 custom, i would like to upgrade to a 19" spoke wheel in the front. has anyone ever tried relacing a 650 19" spoke rim to an 1100 hub.
i am disassembling my wheels to have them powder coated black and putting white wall tires on it. there seems to be more options for WW tires for a 19" wheel and i dont like the factory gap between the front tire and fender that the 1100 has.

thank u for any input,
nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njallessio View Post
im new to this site. i have an 08 1100 custom, i would like to upgrade to a 19" spoke wheel in the front. has anyone ever tried relacing a 650 19" spoke rim to an 1100 hub.
i am disassembling my wheels to have them powder coated black and putting white wall tires on it. there seems to be more options for WW tires for a 19" wheel and i dont like the factory gap between the front tire and fender that the 1100 has.

thank u for any input,
nick
I just lowered the fender when I had a stock wheel on mine. Drill 4 holes in the mount and 10 minutes later it's done.

You could probably get a 650 wheel to work, but I'm not sure how the speedo adapter hooks up to everything up there. It may not be a super easy swap because of that.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick – 6* Tree - 2" extended forks – 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock – Pods – Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

i noticed that the 650 hub is only set up for a single rotor while the 1100 has dual. the spoke pattern looks the same and i would just be using the outer rim and spokes from the 650 and the hub from my 1100. the cheapest i can find a 650 wheel is $150 plus shipping and id hate to find out it wont work after spending the cash.

also ive been looking at the shinko 777 white walls and i cant find them in an
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 11:05 PM

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick – 6* Tree - 2" extended forks – 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock – Pods – Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff

Last edited by Sick Mick; 07-10-2014 at 11:10 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 11:08 PM

If you're going to all that work, I'd definitely not use the Yamaha spokes. Get a decent set from Buchanan.

If I was spending $150 on a wheel, I'd probably just go with a 21" Harley wheel. Worst case scenario is another $75 to have an axle machined ans one fork drilled out. Lots of ww choices in 21". I just did mine and the wheel with rotor was $100. Lots of wheel choices too.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

"sick mick" awesome man. love the look of that wheel on your bike but i seen the spendy price tag someone posted and it scared me off. it would also bug me if the spokes in front didn't match the rear wheel, but a 16" harley wheel in the back would look so much cooler than the 15".
sounds like i have found yet another money pit. lol
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 10:10 AM

I'm not sure what you consider spendy, but I have just a little more than $200 in the wheel conversion not including the tire and I'll get an easy $100 back when I sell my stock wheel.

You are right about the spokes though, the finish on Yamaha ones really sucks and the Harley ones look much better. I doubt you'd ever get a Harley rear wheel to work on an 1100 without some radical changes.....

It's just my opinion, but going 1" taller isn't much of a change for the money. You may lose any additional height you hoped to gain if the 19" tire has a smaller profile than the 18". That is the main reason I went to a 21.....well......that and the tire choices.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the input "sickmick". i try to customize all my vehicles by modifying oem parts from either different years, models or in new configurations. it makes telling the build story fun and most of the time doesn't cost as much as aftermarket parts.

i think im gonna go ahead and try it my way first. you guys can always tell me i told you so.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 08:44 PM

Absolutely....to each their own. Good luck with the project.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

all right i havnt had time to do any more research on the 19" front wheel and im tired of not being able to ride my bike because my rear tire is getting bald.

what brand and size white wall tires are poeple running on vtar 1100 with an 18" front wheel and a 15" rear wheel. im such a quiter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode