Windshields...major buffeting....opinions welcomed - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Windshields...major buffeting....opinions welcomed

Good day.
Just want some input.

I've got a 1999 V Star classic 650. Wanted a windshield, and boy am I sorry.

Did a little poking around, folks say it should be as high as your nose level and be able to see over it. So I did a few measurements, and decided to go with a National Cycle Custom heavy duty. The touring would go higher than my nose and I wouldn't be able to see over it. The low boy and chopped were too short.

So picked up the windshield and mounts for cheap enough ( two cycle guys) and put them on. Holy crap, it was like duct taping my helmet to a washing machine.

Did some more research, everyone says you gotta get the lowers, should solve everything. Put in another order with the cycle guys, got lowers, and now buffeting is completely gone.....so long as I keep it under 45mph or so, otherwise, same difference.

The windshield itself is as low as I can make it, although it can go maybe another 1/2 inch lower, the headlight cutout would hit the headlight. (Speaking of which, the cutout is smaller than the light, so it leaves a sorta crescent mood opening) Some folks say angle it forward or back, but at most I'd be able to do maybe 7-10 degrees back, at the expense of making it a bit higher. (Currently as vertical and low as possible).

All of a sudden a little wind on my chest and rain in my face don't sound so bad.

Anyone here run a NC custom heavy duty on their star? Ever had the buffeting? Solutions? I'd love to take this cross country sometime, but as is, I can barely get go cross town with it.

Fidelis ad Mortem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 07:46 AM

I have a Memphis Shades windshield and at highway speeds it felt like someone was bouncing a baseball bat off my helmet I was getting hit so hard by the buffeting. Like everyone says, get lowers, so I did. I put on a set of fork deflectors (11"L X5"W) and I could not believe the difference they made. At highway speeds I experience almost no buffeting now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020682.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	33482  
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 07:58 AM

Can you raise the w/s up a little and give that a try?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer View Post
Can you raise the w/s up a little and give that a try?
Agreed. I have a 17" windshield without any lowers, and experience almost no wind. I put my hand at about eye level and raise it until I feel wind on my hand. Barely starts to get windy right at the very top of my helmet. If I stand up just a couple inches higher on the pegs, I can feel it blowing my helmet around a lot.

Do the hand check. My suspicion is that your windshield it too low. It took a little getting used to because I kept wanting to look down and that caused me to look through the shield. Instead of lowering the shield, I have now trained my eyes to look off into the distance where they should be looking.

If the obstruction I'm looking at is so low the windshield blocks my view, I've already gotten too close to reliably avoid the obstruction anyway.

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

2003 XVS650A V Star Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode