question for the experts. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

question for the experts.

Thanks for the add first off.
i have a employee that has a 2001 vstar 650.
he bought the bike in a modified condition.
here is the problem,the bike starts right up,but with the hand clutch pulled in and you click the bike into first gear it dies...
the clutch is not stuck nore is the cable out of adjustment.
iv searched this forum and found a couple of others having this problem and most were the kick stand switch (and yes the stand was up when this problem happens).
so went to check this switch and there is none on this bike,and i cant find even the harness for one....
here is my question(s).
is the switch on the stand itself (im assuming it is),if not could you tell me where its located.
like i stated this bike has been tamperd with and there are a couple of wires that i can see that have been jumped or tied together.
so my next question is can anyone tell me what the color of the stand switch wires are so i can trace/look for them.
i downloaded the manuel in pdf form but cant read the wire colors and the manuel does not give a location for the switch.
allso,yes the bikes neutral light is on,the bike starts up with 0 problems,idles fine,revs fine but dies when clicked into gear even with the clutch in.
any help from the experts would be apreciated.
thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 06:11 AM

http://650ccnd.com/if you go to the misc. section you can download a pdf manual which will show location of switches chapter 7 line 11. could not find a wiring diagram when removing safty switches you connect the wires together.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 06:24 AM
KES

I had this problem on a vn800. The switch is located at the top of the stand it has a pin which is pushed in when the stand is in use creating a contact. When the stand is put back up the pin comes out under spring pressure to break the contact. When this gets road muck in their it can stick, I just pullled the rubber boot back and plied it with some wd40 and worked the switch in and out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

switch

thanks,im aware of where the switch was suposed to be,most all bikes have this.
but this one is gone along with the harness where it should be,as i would have by passed the switch.
on this bike im trying to find the 2 wires that "went " to the switch.
i guess what im asking is there a diagram that shows the wiring and the colors/location i can start looking for in order to by pass or find out what the previous owner did.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 11:52 AM

Garage
It's one single blue/yellow wire and it goes from the switch that should be on the kick stand along the frame to the front and up under the tank? It's a go to ground switch.

Last edited by farmalldanzil; 07-19-2014 at 06:17 PM. Reason: wire color
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 12:04 PM

If you look there and find a lonely connector that's blue/yellow and black, jump it (or is it unplug it?).

Farmalldanzil, am I backwards or are you talking about the neutral switch? Isn't the sidestand connector two wire and located between the cylinders under the tank? I'm just guessing looking at the drawings from the link nick57 provided above.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar

Last edited by sparkn; 07-19-2014 at 12:07 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 01:39 PM

according to the wiring diagram the same wire goes to the clutch lever,kickstand and neutral switch.probably blue with a yellow stripe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode