Bypassing AIS and now bike runs sluggish? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Bypassing AIS and now bike runs sluggish?

I have after-market short shots on my bike. I had a buddy who assisted me with bypassing the AIS (putting a golf tee in the one hose while U'ing the two down by the front wheel) and now the bike seems to run extremely sluggish. I did notice backfiring when I started stopped and most of the decel popping has stopped but at an idle.. it just wants to die.. I usually have to ride with choke out to keep it from dying at an idle. Does anyone know why this may be? I haven't installed the V&H jet kit yet (have it but local shop said it probably didn't need it) and they said they checked the jets whenever I brought it in a few months back for my 12k maintenance. I am worried that there might be something wrong or there might of been something I missed? I tried to revert it back to normal but getting that golf tee out is a PITA and decided to just check all the connections and make sure everything was hunky dory. Where I put the golf tee in was up by the fuel petcock.. there is a small clamp.. take that clamp off, seperate the two hoses and put the golf tee in.. Thanks for all assistance! By the way I live in Arizona and they don't require emissions testing for bikes anymore so the AIS for emissions is a non-factor. The bike is a 2007 V-Star 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 06:54 PM

Have a look at this https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...g/carb-jetting

Last edited by aide; 07-20-2014 at 07:15 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 07:02 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 07:16 PM

I made the link live now.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Ive noticed that if I keep the choke out a tad... she runs like a charm.. but it is SO sluggish and actually will die if I am stopepd at a light...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 07:27 PM

Not enough fuel.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotik169 View Post
Ive noticed that if I keep the choke out a tad... she runs like a charm.. but it is SO sluggish and actually will die if I am stopepd at a light...

I'd go back and put it back to stock and try it again. You did something wrong. My guess is that you induced a big vacuum leak. Adding choke (which just drops fuel straight into the intake) is offsetting the vacuum leak enough to get the bike to run.

This is a very simple thing to do and should not cause any change in performance.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff

Last edited by Sick Mick; 07-20-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode