Problems with my 2004 VSTAR 1100.. HELP - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Problems with my 2004 VSTAR 1100.. HELP

So the egine light is on my VSTAR, ive done plenty of research and all I could find is how to read the code by looking at the light pattern..but so far ive found no way of knowing what the code stands for....im fairly new to Cruiser type motorcycles so bare with me.... after switching on the key and the lights cycle, the check engine blinks 5 times slowly and 8 times fast... does anyone know what the code means??.. some one told me it could be the TPS, others tell me its the bank angle sensor?

Thank you guys for any help i can get!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 07:19 PM

5 slow = 5
8 fast = 8

Fault code 58 = Fuel cut solenoid valve #2
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

is that something that will cost me alot $$$??... is it still rideable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 07:44 PM

It means that the fuel shut off solenoid on the carb for the front cylinder is inoperable. It's not a big deal. They are there to shut off fuel delivery a few hundred RPM before hitting the rev limiter so you don't flood the catalytic convertor with raw fuel. This only applies if you have the stock exhaust.

I have a solenoid delete kit available to get rid of the solenoids and keep the light off. It runs $25 shipped. If you'd rather just replace the solenoid, I have one of those too.....also $25 shipped. Or...you can just ignore the flashing...

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick – 6* Tree - 2" extended forks – 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock – Pods – Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

How difficult is it to install the kit?? Or to install a replacement solenlid??
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 09:07 AM

If you can remove the tank, you can do it. That's just to get in there to unplug the leads from the solenoids. It just makes it easier.

The solenoids are those ugly things sticking out of the carb bowls on each side with the single wire coming off of them. You simply follow those leads to where they plug into the main harness (about 6" up) and unplug them. Then just plug in the new ones or the leads from the special wiring harness. The kit comes with bowl plugs to replace the solenoids and cleans up the look.

Max Air makes a similar kit too.....at twice the price before shipping costs.

http://www.maxairengineering.com/mm5...t_Code=MAX_CSR

If you have the stock pipe set up...I'd consider sticking to the replacement solenoid if you hit the rev limiter often.

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick – 6* Tree - 2" extended forks – 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock – Pods – Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 10:10 AM

^
And that is why this forum is bad ass......... straight answers with no BS....doesn't matter if you have 6 posts or 600 you still get the respect and help needed.

2002 V-Star 1100 Bobber
Chubby Pod Kit
Thugstar 2/1 Exhaust
Maxair Thumbscrews
Pingle Highflow Fuel filter
Pingle Highflow Petcock
AIS blocked
Some Blue Collar Bobber stuff
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mick View Post
If you can remove the tank, you can do it. That's just to get in there to unplug the leads from the solenoids. It just makes it easier.

The solenoids are those ugly things sticking out of the carb bowls on each side with the single wire coming off of them. You simply follow those leads to where they plug into the main harness (about 6" up) and unplug them. Then just plug in the new ones or the leads from the special wiring harness. The kit comes with bowl plugs to replace the solenoids and cleans up the look.

Max Air makes a similar kit too.....at twice the price before shipping costs.

http://www.maxairengineering.com/mm5...t_Code=MAX_CSR

If you have the stock pipe set up...I'd consider sticking to the replacement solenoid if you hit the rev limiter often.

Awesome!! So If I have aftermarket pipes you recommend gettin the solenoid delete kit?....how can I go about buyin it off of you?...thanks
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 11:17 PM

I'll send you a PM with my PayPal info.....I have some with me right now and could mail it out Thursday at the latest.....USPS Priority.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 05:23 AM

Garage
Trouble codes for future reference. https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...-trouble-codes

2002 V-Star 1100 Classic
Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing
Dragbar Handlebars
National Cycle Cruiseliner Saddlebags
7" LED Headlight with 4.5" LED Driving Lights
Corbin Seat
Engine Guard with Kuryakyn Pegs
Chubby Intake with TimB's PMS Thumbscrews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode