Front end flop - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Front end flop

I just recently purchased a 2004 V-Star 650 Silverado for my wife and I took it for a ride, nice for a small bike but I noticed the front end seems to be easily flop left and right , not sure if that is just the way these bikes are or do I need to look into the front end. The bike is like brand new with 10,000 miles and I know it needs a valve adjustment but other than that very nice bike for the $$$. I ride mostly HD scooters and it reminds me of a Heritage softail but rides like a Fatbob but the rake is less. Any ideas or is this normal ????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 09:01 PM

Garage
Not sure what you mean by "flop". Could you expand on this?

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 09:10 AM

If it was me...and I wasn't sure.....I'd either get a shop manual and check it, or take it into a shop and have it checked. Unfortunately we can't be there to see or feel what is going on to give you anything other than a wild guess.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Corsair, when I mean flop I mean the front end wants to flop left or right at low speed and also when I put it on the lift the front end will either rest left or right not like my scoot the always comes back to center... Sick Mick I have a manual on the way and I hope the manual has good enough info to set the valve lash and figure out if the head bearings are loose or if the front end is normal
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 02:43 PM

If you have the front end up its supposed to fall left or right. How would it do this while riding? Are you taking your hands off the bars and its wobbling? <--if so, prob need a new front tire. That's what mine was.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

BLUE BIKE CLUB

09' Vstar "frankenstar" 950
modded air kit w/k&n filter
Custom homemade exhaust
Saddle bags
Highway bars
Handmade side mount license plate
Handmade floorboard extensions
10" apes
Removed turn signals
Blue led accents
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 11:24 AM

Check front tire pressure?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Tires are new pressure at 36 . Front end of bike is just very easy to go from side to side . This is usually found in bikes that have an extreme rake like a chopper. The only time I have experienced that on a stock bike is on a Harley Rocker C and the rake is out there. I was just surprised that this bike is as floppy as a raked bike. My question is and was is this normal for this bike and has anyone else noticed this. I have a manual coming and I hope it has a section on checking neck bearings. I am sure it has torque specks
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 01:36 PM

This may not be much help, but my 650 custom doesn't have any tendency (that I notice) to "flop" to one side at low speed. It seems to track well even at parking lot speed. The front end is very different on the custom so this may not be true with the classic's larger front tire. Probably worth having it checked out if it seems odd to you.

BLUE BIKE CLUB
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDKG2 View Post
Front end of bike is just very easy to go from side to side . This is usually found in bikes that have an extreme rake like a chopper. The only time I have experienced that on a stock bike is on a Harley Rocker C and the rake is out there. I was just surprised that this bike is as floppy as a raked bike. My question is and was is this normal for this bike and has anyone else noticed this. I have a manual coming and I hope it has a section on checking neck bearings. I am sure it has torque specks
As has been alluded to by others, it's hard to diagnose anything on a forum such as this, let alone a matter as subjective as bike handling. The advice to go over it with the manual in hand, or take it to a knowledgeable mechanic is sound.

Having said this, I'll submit a tidbit from my personal experience for what it's worth. I'm sure that you'll understand what I'm trying to say based on your comments about raked bikes and choppers. I logged many miles on a Gold Wing before purchasing the 1100. Initially the 1100 seemed to tend to fall into slow speed corners. This perception was simply the result of the differences in the geometry between the touring bike and the cruiser and it became a non-issue in a short period of time. None the less, you're wise to be checking the condition of the head tube bearings.

<::::>< er

2008 Candy Red 1100 Silverado
Passing Lamps
Cramp Buster Throttle
Risers, 3 X 1.5
Mustang Seat w/backrest
Passenger Floor Boards
Cut Down Windshield
Engine Guards
Highway Pegs
Kuryakyn Hypercharger and Jets
Samson Warlord II Ripsaw Pipes
Jardin OFR Kit
Barons Tachometer
Clock/Thermometer
Windshield Bag
Tank Bib with pocket
Luggage Rack (only on tour)
Sissy Bar Luggage (only on tour)
Leather Trimmings
Badges removed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode