2000 v star middle drive new owner advice seeked - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

2000 v star middle drive new owner advice seeked

Howdy folks joined today been reading a lot, got a lead on a 2000 v star 1100 that's deep discounted at a yamaha dealer due to the typical whining grinding noise coming from middle drive. The Yamaha dealership that has this bike states it is road worthy and inspectable however the noise is the reason for low price.

So my question is this would: any of you buy it and tear into it to fix the typical nut backing off snapping issue?

I am mechanically inclined enough to feel comfortable tackling the fix of the nut staking however if that's not the issue how hard is the rebuild of the entire middle drive?

This would be my 1st road bike and I feel that fixing and repairing something with your own 2 hands is the best way to get acquainted with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 07:04 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum from Northwest Illinois. Depending on how well discounted the bike is you should be able to repair it and still have an economical ride. My question would be why would the dealer not fix it and sell for an undiscounted price?

Working on my 'bucket list' and enjoying every minute of it!!

Old V Star Man
2007 V Star 1100 Classic
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 07:06 PM

someone posted a couple weeks ago about back and forth play in the drive shaft so i checked mine and there is no movement.so i'm wondering if the nut is loose would the shaft have in and out play?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Old V Star man...my best guess would because this dealership recently became a triumph dealership as well and would rather take on trade and flip then fix it and sell it on, most of their used inventory is 07 and newer.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 09:58 PM

Is it worth buying from a dealer? Depends on how much it's discounted and what you figure it will cost to fix it. I'm not one to be afraid of buying a project if it makes economic sense, then there's the fact I enjoy doing the project which is hard to put a price on. At least when it's done I know what I have.
To the question of why doesn't the dealer fix it? Two simple reasons, age of the bike and economics. A 14 year old bike isn't worth much especially one that needs to be fixed at shop rates (and that's what they use to figure out what it will cost to repair it). Eg. that bike might be worth $3500 and they may have $1000 into it as a trade in plus what ever repairs it needs (admist. costs, detailing). Not a lot of wiggle room there to make much profit. They will make more profit selling as is without doing anything to it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 11:11 PM

Play up the problem and offer less than what they are asking and see if they bite. It sounds like you are mechanically inclined, so you may make out like a bandit.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis F View Post
Howdy folks joined today been reading a lot, got a lead on a 2000 v star 1100 that's deep discounted at a yamaha dealer due to the typical whining grinding noise coming from middle drive. The Yamaha dealership that has this bike states it is road worthy and inspectable however the noise is the reason for low price.

So my question is this would: any of you buy it and tear into it to fix the typical nut backing off snapping issue?

I am mechanically inclined enough to feel comfortable tackling the fix of the nut staking however if that's not the issue how hard is the rebuild of the entire middle drive?

This would be my 1st road bike and I feel that fixing and repairing something with your own 2 hands is the best way to get acquainted with it.

I'm not sure what "typical whining grinding noise" is. Mine made noise for about 60 seconds before the shaft snapped. It was totally quiet before and after the repair. Any whining grinding noise is really not typical on any motorcycle. Something is seriously wrong with with it. We can't see it or hear it, so any advice given here is nothing but a totally wild guess with no clue of the actual condition of the bike.

It could be a simple midshaft repair...it could be internal midshaft bearings or the tranny. It could be an easy $100 fix, it could cost you a grand or more in parts. The only way to know for sure is to tear into it and look.

If you aren't able to ride it out the door, the junk value on an 1100 is about $1000 max.....but with an engine case that has the possibility of having to come apart, it would be worth about $600. Hopefully the deep discount is right around those numbers....... that might make it worth the risk...unless you can verify the exact damage and get a warranty from the dealer that they would cover any additional expense.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mick View Post
I'm not sure what "typical whining grinding noise" is. Mine made noise for about 60 seconds before the shaft snapped. It was totally quiet before and after the repair. Any whining grinding noise is really not typical on any motorcycle. Something is seriously wrong with with it. We can't see it or hear it, so any advice given here is nothing but a totally wild guess with no clue of the actual condition of the bike.

It could be a simple midshaft repair...it could be internal midshaft bearings or the tranny. It could be an easy $100 fix, it could cost you a grand or more in parts. The only way to know for sure is to tear into it and look.

If you aren't able to ride it out the door, the junk value on an 1100 is about $1000 max.....but with an engine case that has the possibility of having to come apart, it would be worth about $600. Hopefully the deep discount is right around those numbers....... that might make it worth the risk...unless you can verify the exact damage and get a warranty from the dealer that they would cover any additional expense.
Yeah its right about 990, I was reading about the tear down of the mid shaft and the internal mid shaft tear down with a full repair. I was thinking about playing up the issue a bit and offer 700 cash and see what they do...stay tuned if I show up in a few days with pictures of a V Star 1100 in pieces splayed out in my garage then you know they did...thanks guys!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 08:59 PM

If it ends up being a broken end on the midshaft....you can repair that for less than $100..... but you don't need to tell them that....

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode