final drive issues - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

final drive issues

04 vstar 1100, 33000 miles

Well my last ride I noticed a strange squeek coming from the back end, ive only had the bike for a couple months and hadn't got to pulling the back tire yet to check anything so last night I drained the final drive oil to change it and pulled the rear tire off.
The splines on the rear wheel hub are almost completely gone and everything was pretty dry, the oil in the final drive looked pretty new and good with no chunks or scary things coming out.
The splines on the front of the driveshaft looks good other then a little dry and I haven't yet pulled it out of the final drive to inspect the front splines. I noticed that I could move the drive shafts around up down left and right while it's still in the final drive, is this normal.
I would have thought with the bearings in there that the only thing the drive shafts could do was turn.
Any info and help would be appreciated , thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 10:00 AM

Not sure about the play in the shaft but I think some play is normal.

If the wheel splines are gone, somebody used the wrong grease...or no grease when the wheel was changed. Yamaha specifies nothing other than Honda Moly 60 for those splines. Anything else and you end up exactly in your situation. I'd try to find a used wheel on Ebay or your local bike wrecking yard, buy some Moly 60 and use it liberally when you remount the new wheel.

More info here.....https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...irs/driveshaft

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff

Last edited by Sick Mick; 07-30-2014 at 10:07 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 11:18 AM

I just pulled rear wheel on my 04 1100 and regreased rear diff. Reason being last time I did it was when I changed rear tire. I didn't have honda moly grease, nor could I find any around the area. So I called one the stealers around my area and they told me to use anti-seize compound and that it wold work just as well. So that's what i did. Since all information that I have come across recommending honda moly 60 I was a little concerned. No I was alot concerned as I can't afford to be making any major repairs living on fixed income so got some regular stuff, (honda moly 60) on line. I feel better now. As far as movement of the driveshaft, I grabbed hold of mine before removing rear tire just to see if there was any movement and there was no visible movement up, down, or sideways. Good luck with repairs and hopefully you can find some used parts for decent price. Lots of good people here to help you with any problems that you may have making repairs.

Sonysnek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Thankfully the hub spline is separate from the actual wheel so I should be able to find a new spline plate to bolt on to the hub.
I've already picked up some molly 60 grease and new gear oil.

And the play that I'm talking about on the driveshaft is when the final drive assembly is completely removed from the bike.
If you set the final drive on the ground with the driveshaft sticking straight in the air you can move it around like there's a ball joint on the end
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 12:28 PM

Just for my own education here...when you guys speak of grease and moly 60 are you referring to the fluid in the rear gear housing or something else?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackedram View Post
Thankfully the hub spline is separate from the actual wheel so I should be able to find a new spline plate to bolt on to the hub.
I've already picked up some molly 60 grease and new gear oil.

And the play that I'm talking about on the driveshaft is when the final drive assembly is completely removed from the bike.
If you set the final drive on the ground with the driveshaft sticking straight in the air you can move it around like there's a ball joint on the end
that's normal.

Yes you can just do the hub, but last time I looked for a friend, I found an entire rear wheel for less money.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode