650 to 1300 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

650 to 1300

Newbie though I am, I'm contemplating moving from the 650 to the 1300. Mainly due to highway performance. Does great around town and on back roads, but it just doesn't seem geared for cruising above 55. Here in TX we have a lot of lonely highways with 60 or 70 speed limits. I'm happy to go the speed limit and am in no way a speed demon, but get incredibly frustrated when I'm behind someone plodding along at 5mph less than the speed limit and the 650 doesn't have enough oomph to safely pass in a reasonably short period.

Thoughts on the 1300?

The 1300 I'm looking at doesn't have saddlebags--would the bags from my 650 fit? I'm guessing the nice Mustang seat my 650 has wouldn't swap over, but that would be a nice surprise.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 11:27 AM

Assuming you don't have hard bags on your 650, they're probably just the normal throw-over type. You would need new brackets specific to your 1300, but you could get those for well under $100 and then be able to mount almost any soft saddlebag. Unfortunately your seat will be incompatible.

I love my 650 and plan on keeping it until something that can't reasonably be repaired happens, but I also "upgraded" to a larger bike. Been spending much more time on the 1600 recently because I prefer the lower rpms and greater torque. Surprisingly, I have actually seen better gas mileage from the bike with 2.5x the displacement.

The transition took a little time because the bigger bike was so much heavier and more powerful, but the difference is amazing. Considering how soft the market is on used Yamahas, you can get an amazing deal on Roadstars.

The 1300 is water-cooled and a slightly different beast, plus some people say they still feel a little hurried at highway speeds. Only a test ride can answer that for you. Personally, I feel like a V-Twin should be air-cooled, and I'm super pleased with the 48-52mpg I get from my R*.

One thing is for certain...once you move to ANY of the bigger bikes. Your 650 will never feel quite the same again.

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

2003 XVS650A V Star Classic
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 05:36 PM

About the only thing I don't like at hi way speeds is Im always looking for the 6th gear (which it doesn't have) seems like its screaming past 65-85mph. It's got plenty of passing power even when riding 2 up. I think the 1300 is a great hybrid for city/back roads and occasional to moderate hi way travels. If I mostly did hi ways I would be looking at a bigger bike and something with 6th gear.

2008/ 1300 V Star
Kuryakyn Pro R hypercharger
Road Burner 2.5" Street Pros
Dyno-Jet fuel processor
Yamaha OEM Passing lamps
Yamaha OEM highway bars Kuryakyn pegs
Tsukayu Strong JUMBO hard bags
Wicked Lightening green LED's
Kuryakyn Triple Whammy
RecklessMotorcycles fairing w/Rockford Fosgate amp
Klock Werk 6.5" windshield

V&H Big Shots for sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneypit View Post
About the only thing I don't like at hi way speeds is Im always looking for the 6th gear (which it doesn't have) seems like its screaming past 65-85mph. It's got plenty of passing power even when riding 2 up. I think the 1300 is a great hybrid for city/back roads and occasional to moderate hi way travels. If I mostly did hi ways I would be looking at a bigger bike and something with 6th gear.

That is very true, im always lookin for that 6th gear too... hahaha
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 07:39 AM

I just recently bought a 1100. It too needs a higher gear. I know you didn't ask about the 1100 but I can relate to that situation. That being said, if I were you I would get a roadster. It's not all that much larger than a 1300 and you will never be looking for more torque or power on the interstate
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 08:00 AM

I had a VStar 1300 and a month or so back bought a new Road Star. The 1300 handles easy and I had no problem at highway travel even 2 up. With that said I like my Road Star even more. The Road Star for me is even more smoother and a good highway ride. I also find it as easy to handle , maybe more-so than the 1300, at all speeds. Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode