2009 1100 custom signal issue - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

2009 1100 custom signal issue

Hey everyone,
Wondering if anyone can help me out here?

I just bought a 2009 1100 custom and everything was working fine until the right side(front and back) signal quit working and stays solid.
Left side works fine.
The indicator light on "dash" is on.
Checked the fuse...ok
Removed fuse and right side stays lit(left side not working of course, fuse out)

Where would I go from here?

I am a new rider and just want to get out there and practice and get some km/miles under my belt.

Thanks everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 09:18 AM

Garage
Like I said in the intro, do, you have a stock bike or does it have some mods? Do you know if you have a modified flasher system IE kuryakin triple whammy or something to that effect? If not, I would go and get a new flasher unit and replace it. In my signature block there's a link to the wkb. Great info on there for new and old 1100 riders alike. You'll also find a link in the wkb for the service manual for your bike. Let us know what you find.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.....

The signals are stock on the bike and as far as the flasher unit goes I would believe its stock as well.

I believe I know where the flasher unit is.. Behind the "key ignition"

I will check out your signature and see what I can find out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 08:22 PM

check the light bulbs and sockets...

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Well,
I checked all bulbs, switched them to the other side of the bike and the right side is still solid.
The indicator light on the "dash" flashes when the left side is flashing, once you cancel it the indicator light stays solid. And solid when right signal is on, but not doing anything.
The right front light glows brighter then the left front as well.

Flasher unit?
If so, is it under the tank?

I have tried searching for the location and really have come up with nothing.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 07:17 PM

It's all in the Yamaha Shop Manual...which is really important to have, especially with an electrical issue. The flasher is under the tank. Just take it off and you'll be looking at the flasher.

However, you may want to run a few more tests to make sure that is the problem before you spend the $65 for a new one. Normally a flasher doesn't know which side is going, it just flashes or doesn't...unless there is an issue in the system. If it was bad, I kind of doubt it would do anything on either side. If there is an issue in the system, the flasher won't flash on the side with the issue. It could be a bad ground, it could be a bare wire or a bad socket or many other things. That is why you need the wiring diagram in the Shop Manual so you can start diagnosing the issue.

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Cool,
Thanks for your help Sick Mick, going to grab a shop manual ASAP
And get this taken care of.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 08:53 PM

Go to the link in my signature....click on NEW OWNER STUFF....and look for a little surprise in there.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 07:34 AM

Your are probably going to have to trace the entire circuit to find the issue. With one side being brighter than the other that would lead me to think there is a bad ground or short somewhere. But what really throws me is you stated when you removed the fuse the right side still lit. If that's the case then that circuit is getting power from some other source. Hope the PO didn't botch something up in there for you to fight with.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 01:52 PM

Had this happen recently, turned out to be a pinched wire that was broken inside the insulation. Cut the wire and soldered it back together and all is well now.

Like others have said, yer gonna have to trace continuity for the right side signal wires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode