Serious seat questions - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
SSC

Serious seat questions

Hi all it's been a while. The bikes been running good and after many long years it's paid off!

One of the biggest issues I've had from day 1 has been the stock seat on my silverado. I've gave plenty of time for break in this isn't getting g better my butt has a 30 min limit goes numb feels like it's on fire. At the 45 min mark my tail bone is killing me and my inner thigh area is screaming. My wife hates the passenger seat says it rock hard and way to small. I know people love the mustang seats I've sat on one on a 1300 and it felt better pressure wise but seemed like it sat lower which kinda cramped me up. 6.4 300 lbs not good. I think the 1300 is a little bigger all around. I would like to get another seat but honestly I'm afraid of wasting money especially since the wife has been wanting to get a touring bike and I seriously do not want to get into another payment and I like my bike. Help please!

2008 V-Star Silverado 1100. K&N filter, airbox mod passenger floor boards, all light visors, ISO grips, Cobra slash cut mufflers, Saddleman touring seat/ tourpack. Lots of little extras.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 11:29 PM

Suck it up, or buy a "Mustang" or "Ultimate."

Or buy a cruiser.......but you'll still have to buy a better seat. My stock Roadliner seat must be made with steel spikes pointed up!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 11:42 PM

Had the same problem with my 950 seat: 30 minutes and I was done no matter how you sliced it. Bought a CorbinŽ seat and haven't had to get off the bike for anything but fuel since. Spent the extra cash to get my passenger seat too since I didnt do the dual tourer and everyone who has ridden on it says its great.

"There is no better company than Friends on the open road"

2012 V-Star 950 "Shyvanna"
Star Boulevard windscreen
Kuryakyn ISO grips
Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors
Corbin custom solo saddle & pillion
Cobra 4" slip on exhaust
LED underglow kit (2-tone)
Chrome bits here and there with more to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 12:45 AM

For what it's worth.....my experience.

I added a Mustang Wide Tourer, with backrest and the passenger pillion. Now I have broken my hips almost 40 years ago and that may make mine a special case.

With the Mustang, my girlfriend loves it and can ride for 10 + hours a day. We just got home from a 3100 mile trip and there were average days of 10 hours with a couple going beyond 11.

Before we made this trip we did a 4 day run over the 4th of July. I decided, the Mustang was still painful. My butt went to sleep after an hour and we had to stop.

I bought the, "AirHawk" pad and after this trip I can say it is the best thing I've tried. It feels to me like I'm sitting on nothing and can ride for hours with zero issues.

That's just one person's experience, but it was a life (butt) saver for me.

Don
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 05:39 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSC View Post
Hi all it's been a while. The bikes been running good and after many long years it's paid off!

One of the biggest issues I've had from day 1 has been the stock seat on my silverado. I've gave plenty of time for break in this isn't getting g better my butt has a 30 min limit goes numb feels like it's on fire. At the 45 min mark my tail bone is killing me and my inner thigh area is screaming. My wife hates the passenger seat says it rock hard and way to small. I know people love the mustang seats I've sat on one on a 1300 and it felt better pressure wise but seemed like it sat lower which kinda cramped me up. 6.4 300 lbs not good. I think the 1300 is a little bigger all around. I would like to get another seat but honestly I'm afraid of wasting money especially since the wife has been wanting to get a touring bike and I seriously do not want to get into another payment and I like my bike. Help please!
Same issue. 6'0" and 280 lbs. On XVS1100 I have tried stock seat, stock seat re-done, Corbin, Mustang (wide) and Mustang (wide) with Airhawk.

Mustang is the best. Airhawk did nothing for me at various inflation rates except raise me up a bit on the seat.

I can go an hour or two so on Mustang, and then the numbness sets in. I have convinced myself it is not the seat, it's just that I have a fat ass.

2002 V-Star 1100 Classic
Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing
Dragbar Handlebars
National Cycle Cruiseliner Saddlebags
7" LED Headlight with 4.5" LED Driving Lights
Corbin Seat
Engine Guard with Kuryakyn Pegs
Chubby Intake with TimB's PMS Thumbscrews
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
SSC

Did the mustang seats move you guys forward? I think if I we're to sit a couple inches higher it might be better for my legs as well. I've already had to make some adjustments for my arm length by moving my handle bars forward a lot. After moving those forward the pain I was having in my shoulders disappeared so now it's time to make the bike fit my lower half. I don't think i will ever be able to ride non stop all day on this bike but I would at least like to go a couple hundred miles I think that is a reasonable goal

2008 V-Star Silverado 1100. K&N filter, airbox mod passenger floor boards, all light visors, ISO grips, Cobra slash cut mufflers, Saddleman touring seat/ tourpack. Lots of little extras.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 07:04 AM

Scootmods makes a 4" and 6" extension kit for the pegs/boards and controls, and it's only $45. Put that with a mustang seat and it may be a good combination. I have the 4" kit with the mustang seat on my 1300 and I can stretch my legs out straight. Have a look at the Ultimate seat to; it looks a bit taller than the mustang.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 07:30 AM

I'm 6'3" 260lbs with a Mustang seat on my 1100. I bought it that way so can't compare it to anything else as far as comfort or seating position. My butt still hurts after a couple hours and when I get off in feels like my inner thighs are raw. Thankfully that dissipates in a few minutes. I installed 6" forward extensions which gives me a comfortable leg position although I would like a highway bar with pegs there so I could stretch out further. Sometimes I find myself with just my heel on the forward most part of the boards in an effort to stretch out. Unfortunately we are all different and what works for one won't necessarily work for another. Sometimes you just have to try and see. I would be leery about dropping that kind of cash on a guess as well. I would suggest looking around for riding groups and maybe find a few more 1100s with different seats you could at least sit on.
How close is your nearest STAR chapter? I'm sure you could find a couple 1100s there.

Last edited by Summer; 08-05-2014 at 07:33 AM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 07:48 AM

I'm 6'3" and 205. The Mustang did move me forward, which I didn't need. I have highway pegs and I adjusted the brake pedal down closer to the floorboard.

I was looking at forward controls, but couldn't find any that worked with the Cobra crash bar. Changing the brake pedal was all I really needed, the shifter fits well and I use my heel for all upshifts.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 09:29 AM

Butt Its Sore

YES!! I understand this problem well. I have owned Yamas/Hondas and ridden Harleys at times so, it is not always maker specific. It is however, usually model specific. I am a 6'1" big boy so the weight of my world is centered on that area and pushes down rather heftily.

Solutions as mentioned may be different for each person. I have seen/tried solutions from taking your seat apart and re-cutting the foam for a different fit, having a seat maker do that, taking the seat apart and installing a "gel" pad or, putting a gel pad directly on top the seat, to buying a replacement seat entirely.

The most direct solution is to buy another seat also most costly and you better know the return policy.

The big problem is you can't really tell until you have driven down the road for a while before the pain starts. So, unless you are doing some of this yourself, it can get expensive very fast. I have had the Mustang seats, and they are good, I have had the Corbin seats and they are great. I have tried the gel pads too but, did not find, for me, a good solution there.

Keep reading on the internet and doing searches on your specific bike and that pain seat issue and you might run across a home-made solution. Other than that, maybe look at return policies, or buy used seats on ebay/craigslist if you can find them for your model bike.

Good luck and hope it all works out for the end. Yeah, I thot I wuz phunny!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode