Windshield plate/trim screw. I need one! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Windshield plate/trim screw. I need one!

So one of the screws on the windshield plate has apparently vibrated out over time. Can't seem to find one online or at any local hardware shops. I don't live close to a Yamaha dealer anymore so I hope you guys can assist. Any ideas? OR do any of you have any of these laying around you'd want to sell?

I looked at the OEM section on motosport.com and I didn't see these, so that makes it hard to even have a part # for the screw.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 10:41 AM

Screws loose

Hopefully someone answers your request because I only have advice.

Have you tried to ask your Yammy service representative for help on this? They might have one that will work in a bin somewhere. Of course that depends how "helpful" they want to be and whether you can ask them.

Yeah, it not those two possibilities, I'd say you may have to do a little digging. Not sure how close to a city you are but, my advice, would be to take one of the other ones off and carry it to a "fastener" supplier (a place that only sells nuts/bolts/fasteners) and find a replacement. The prolum with that is there is usually a minimum purchase price; maybe $5-10.

Or, take one to a home improvement store to get exact measurements and bolt type and look online for a replacement. Unless someone on here has an old windshield that is broken and they held onto it for parts...well good luck whichever direction you go.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperace View Post
Hopefully someone answers your request because I only have advice.

Have you tried to ask your Yammy service representative for help on this? They might have one that will work in a bin somewhere. Of course that depends how "helpful" they want to be and whether you can ask them.

Yeah, it not those two possibilities, I'd say you may have to do a little digging. Not sure how close to a city you are but, my advice, would be to take one of the other ones off and carry it to a "fastener" supplier (a place that only sells nuts/bolts/fasteners) and find a replacement. The prolum with that is there is usually a minimum purchase price; maybe $5-10.

Or, take one to a home improvement store to get exact measurements and bolt type and look online for a replacement. Unless someone on here has an old windshield that is broken and they held onto it for parts...well good luck whichever direction you go.

Yeah I've actually done that, at a Fastenal store and Lowes. All I can seem to find are bolts and they look bad compared to the original screws.

I appreciate your reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 10:51 AM

Look online

Yeah, that really is a VERY obvious spot to not have the exact bolt. If you have found the exact measurements and know what the bolt head is called look up "chrome" bolts online.
I went to one ACE hardware store and they had a whole bunch of chromed nuts, nut caps and bolts and even washers. Since you haven't found the answer you gotta keep on going...oh, what about a bike "junkyard?" Just throwing out ideas...or what about the distant possibility of re-threading the hole if you found a close match?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 11:23 AM

Did the screw have an acorn nut holding it on? I had one missing when I bought my bike. Not a silverado windscreen, but similar screws. Anyway I got mine from a dealer in the area.(southwestern pa). Name is hillviewmotorsports.com. Dont know what shipping might be but think I only paid like $2.50 for both chrome screw and nut. Good luck.

Sonysnek
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 05:05 PM

My local tru-value has a section of chromed specialty fasteners. If that's not an option I would suggest the nearest bike dealer no matter what brand. Especially a HD dealer if one is close. Its just a chromed phillips head machine screw. I would bet any bike service center has some in a bin somewhere. If it doesn't match exactly, replace them all so they do match. Can't be that expensive. If you did order something online the freight would most likely be more than the items purchased.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 07:46 PM

I don't know if this will help, but I needed a set screw for a passenger floorboard. We have some pretty big hardware stores, but this was just too unique.

I found it on www.boltdepot.com. It was only .15 so I got 4 in case I ever need another one. The shipping was $5.95, but hey I got my screw.

Don
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 08:30 PM

Garage
You could try contacting them - Star Motorcycles Customer Relations at (800) 656-7695

I lost one of my mounting bolts for my Memphis Shades fairing, and they replaced at no cost (they even paid for shipping). Would be nice to know if Yamaha stood behind their product as well.

2002 V-Star 1100 Classic
Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing
Dragbar Handlebars
National Cycle Cruiseliner Saddlebags
7" LED Headlight with 4.5" LED Driving Lights
Corbin Seat
Engine Guard with Kuryakyn Pegs
Chubby Intake with TimB's PMS Thumbscrews
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 04:20 AM

Got I've got 2 with the acorn nut. Send me your address I will mail them to you.My email is [email protected]

07 v star 1100 sliverado-Micks ssd kit-sscustom pod kit-cobra pipes.

Last edited by vstardavid; 08-06-2014 at 04:25 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 09:41 AM

Yep!

Way to go vstardavid! That is brotherhood at its best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode