Tires Raidal vs Bias Ply....I know it's an - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Tires Raidal vs Bias Ply....I know it's an

So I've searched the threads and I apologize for bringing up something that has been hashed to death but here I go.....

I've put 7600 miles on my 1300 Deluxe this summer and I need new tires, so my question is......

It came stock with bias ply tires and some would say, "stick with what the manufacturer designed the bike around." I can appreciate that feeling, but I have to ask, What are the pros and cons of radial tires?

I'm new here so excuse the ignorance. I would never put bias ply tires on my car, so what's the difference on my bike?

Thanks for all your input and experience.

Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 01:28 PM

From the website http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com
Can I change my tires from bias ply to radial or vice versa?

Bias and radial tires have significantly different dynamic properties. They deflect differently, create different cornering forces, have different damping characteristics, as well as other differences. In order for radial tires to be introduced into the two-wheel market, it was necessary to change certain characteristics of the motorcycle. The introduction of the radial tire led to such things as modified frames, wider wheels, new steering geometries and suspensions. Therefore, it is recommended that a motorcycle be used with the type of tire construction that it came with originally. If a change is to be made, then it should only be done if the motorcycle or tire manufacturer has approved the change. Above all, do not mix bias ply and radial tires on the same motorcycle unless it is with the approval of the motorcycle or tire manufacturer.

This wasn't even on my radar when I changed out tires... I went from OEM tires to OEM Dunlop on the front and a Commander II on the back. (The Michelin website lists the tire as both radial and bias so I'm completely confused.) I spent 6 months like that until the front started to crack and I replaced it with another Commander II. No issues whatsoever. That being said, I LOVE the Michelins

'06 VStar 1100 Classic - black with ghost flames!
Cobra sissy bar and luggage rack
National Cycle windshield
National Cycle quick release hardbags
Lindby engine guard
Driving lights mounted to engine guard

More to come when I save enough cash!

Last edited by M'Lady; 08-06-2014 at 01:41 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 03:32 PM

Garage
Good tire information

It's all about motorcycle tires.
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photo...e-TyreTech.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies, that was great information. I'll stick with bias ply tires.

Don
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 08:00 PM

I'm thinking you've made a good decision.

First we can't apply all that we know about the differences between automotive bias ply and radial tires to motorcycle applications. They really are two different beasts.

Second, it appears that the application of bias ply and radial tires for motorcycles is mostly dependent on the type of bike and how it is ridden.

Third, this has the potential to go the way of the many oil threads I've read and in which I've participated. Everyone will have their preferences.

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode