Modifying a peanut tank to fit a vstar 1100 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Modifying a peanut tank to fit a vstar 1100

So I am kind of getting what I want to do "in a row" a figuring out the order I am gonna tackle things when I turn my v-star into a bobber. One of the things I really want to do is change out the gas tank for a harley peanut tank. At first it seemed like an issue of modifying the tank to fit the bike (seems relatively straight forward) but as I look into it more, it appears it actually requires modifying the frame of the bike (something I am much less comfortable with). Any tips? I have a friend with the equipment experience to mod the tank, but honestly, I don't feel comfortable about chopping the frame on the bike. Is this a bust then? Thanks in advance guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 05:21 PM

So, if you screw up modifying the tank, how will it affect the handling of the bike? I'd stay away from the frame unless I REALLY know what I'm doing.

2009 1100 Classic
Memphis Fats Windshield
Cobra Slash Cuts
Hypercharger/pod-mod
4" floorboard extention
Mustang studded Hard bags
Showchrome sissy bar
Hopnel windshield bag
Stebel Nautilus Ear Cannon Horn
assorted chrome add-ons
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Haha, well yeah, thats definitely my point. But the tank i guess only is made to fit a single bar, but the v-star apparently has a double bar? I am not sure what is necessary to modify the tank. Trust me, the last thing i want to do is modify the frame. I am not look to make any major structural changes, not that I could if I wanted to.

Last edited by mcinelli; 08-09-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 08:33 PM

I just made the same discovery. I felt even worse when I saw the post "Vstar 650 build" by bones11. Take a look. He chopped the frame on a 650 and used a really sweet looking tank. Way way over my head, but it really looks great. Good luck finding a tank you like.

BLUE BIKE CLUB
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

ugh. Thanks man, but this makes me feel the same way. I have found people who haven't chopped the frame and still used a peanut tank, but it looks so damn high. I'll keep looking I guess.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 10:58 PM

If you look at the "king" size sportster tanks you'll have something to work with. You'll have to cut the bottom completely out of the tank and raise it up 3-4 inches then re-weld it in. It'll take somebody that knows what they are doing......and you'll not be able to pass very many gas stations....figure about 1/2 the current range.

You really need a bike with a single backbone frame...there are a ton of them out there.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, the king size tank was kind of what I was thinking. If I got the normal peanut, it would probably be like 1 gallon by the time it was done. I would seriously consider getting a single backbone bike, but I am married....I may not be if I try to buy another bike.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Here is a guy that looks like he put a peanut tank on without changing to a single bar and without really modifying the tank outside of the mounts.

and here is another one:

http://freethewheels.blogspot.com/20...-dragstar.html

Last edited by mcinelli; 08-09-2014 at 11:45 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 10:29 AM

Yeah. But like you said up above, they just look kinda funny that way. It's your bike though and if that doesn't bother you...go for it.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 12:24 PM

I must be showing my age. In my day, a peanut tank, was like the tank on the "Capt. America" bike. What the picture shows me is a Sportster tank. I guess I've got some catching up to do.

2009 1100 Classic
Memphis Fats Windshield
Cobra Slash Cuts
Hypercharger/pod-mod
4" floorboard extention
Mustang studded Hard bags
Showchrome sissy bar
Hopnel windshield bag
Stebel Nautilus Ear Cannon Horn
assorted chrome add-ons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode