Bottoming out - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Smile Bottoming out

I have a 2002 Vstar 1100 with 24k that bottoms out quite often when I have a rider. I was wondering if a new Progressive spring would take care of the problem or do I have to spend the $400 for a Progressive shock?
Any suggestions? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 03:54 PM

I ride 2 up pretty often and the stock springs werent working for me either. Bottoming on the least little of anything was common and it felt strange low speed turning as well on the stock springs, like it was wallowing or something. I got the progressive springs front and back, installed myself, and bottoming and turning are no longer issues. Do both ends, not just the rear. Some people say replace the whole rear shock, but I think just a new spring works fine for me and the wife.

2005 V Star 1100 Classic
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 08:18 PM

IMO the stock shock is going to be pretty much used up at about 20,000 to 30,000. You can get a little extra support with a beefier spring, but you lose a lot on the handling end. The spring ends up doing the work that the shock should be doing.

When I tossed my heavy duty spring and stock shock at 30,000 and put the Progressive 465 on....it was one of the best upgrades I'd done to the 1100. Had I known how much difference it would make, I would have done it much sooner.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 09:11 PM

Garage
Mick, did you do both ends like mmartinyz mentioned or did you just do the rear? What are your thoughts on just doing the rear one year and the fronts later?

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input!!!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
Mick, did you do both ends like mmartinyz mentioned or did you just do the rear? What are your thoughts on just doing the rear one year and the fronts later?
That wouldn't be an issue...but you will feel the difference once you do the fronts. I'm also running a 50/50 mix of 10W and 15W fork oil so mine stays even stiffer. I did the front first because I didn't care for the spongy feel. Then I stiffened it a little again with the oil when I did the maintenance rebuild on the forks again a couple years later.

I didn't do the rear for a couple years after that.....I thought my bike rode OK until I rode a friends with the Progressive 465. I went straight home and ordered one.....lol.

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 11:16 AM

Garage
So if I read you right; do the fronts first and then the rear. Did you do the gold emulators also on the fronts?

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
So if I read you right; do the fronts first and then the rear. Did you do the gold emulators also on the fronts?
No....what I was trying to saying is that is doesn't really matter when you do them..... or which ones you do first. Either way it'll be better than it was before.

I haven't used emulators.... and really haven't ridden an 1100 that had them to know how much difference from what I have now. I never bottom out on the front and I don't feel the ride is too harsh.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode