headlight question - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

headlight question

So as most of you know, the OE headlights on the 1100 suck. I can't see squat with mine. So just wondering what you folks have done to help this. I know I can go HID with projector or LEDs but really don't want to spend that much green on one. I usually avoid night driving for safety reasons but on the occasional I have to, I would like to be able to see how to get home. I know I can buy different bulbs but have no idea which ones are actually brighter. The KB raves about the kurakyan headlight which isn't bad at $60.00. Just wondering what you guys have used and any other suggestions out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 06:53 PM

Garage
Headlight

I commute every morning at 5am and I was having the same issue. I now use Silvania Silver Star headlight bulb. It's a bright white bulb and is much brighter than original. You can pick one up at any auto part store. Also check you headlight aim.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 07:02 PM

In the wKB...there is a testimonial from one guy saying he loved his Adjure set up (not Kuryakyn). It's the "Diamond Cut Ice" that he had on his. They are a good set up for the 7" steel bucket Classic headlight.

If you have a Custom, they make headlights that size too...but I have never seen anyone use them so I can't tell you if it will fit for sure.

I just swapped to a HD Soft Tail light assembly I found on Ebay for $30 that already had an Adjure headlight in it. It's works very well for me.

http://www.adjureinc.com/mohe.html

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

the first mod i ever did on my bike was replace the stock bulb with a PIAA xtreme white bulb. was very happy with the increase in light for years until i decided to upgrade to HID.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 10:51 PM

I just upgraded my bulb to the silverstar ultra and I am very happy with the increased light.
While the bulb was expensive at around $30.00, I felt this was my best option for the money.

2006 V-Star 1100 Custom Dark Red with Silver flames
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

So for those here that have messed with the lighting....unless I am going all out to an HID, is there any gain from a different style lamp or just change to a brighter bulb and ride?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

you mean a different headlight housing?

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, when I said different style lamp I meant a different headlight housing/reflector.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer View Post
So for those here that have messed with the lighting....unless I am going all out to an HID, is there any gain from a different style lamp or just change to a brighter bulb and ride?
There sure was for me.......

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

So I swapped out the headlight bulb with a Sylvania Silverstar Ultra. Haven't tried it in the dark but just looking it is a much brighter,clearer, whiter light which I like. Now that brings into play another issue. My passing lamps look like wimpy little yellow lights compared to the headlamp. Anyone have any suggestions as to what type of bulb to put in those so it will closer match the headlamp? Also both the passing lamp lenses are cracked. Suggestions on where to find those as well.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode