tunes on the bike... new ideas - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

tunes on the bike... new ideas

so I have an idea for putting some tunes on the bike. here's my thought... get an amp (not sure where to mount it yet), and hook it up to a 5 inch speaker (obviously marine grade). where would the speaker go you ask? I want to put it where the speedometer is. the issue now is finding a speedo I like to mount on the bar, figuring out all the wires to hook up the speedo/indicators. I also need to find an amp/speaker combination that isn't going to break the bank, but will be loud as hell (that's why im thinking going to a 5" may work). right now im running shark (junk) 650 watt system with 2 3" speakers (also junk). I can hear it pretty well going down the road, but it distorts. any opinions/advice is welcome.

1999 V-Star 1100 Custom with driver backrest, all studded leather (seats, bags, backrests, etc), hole saw exhaust mod (1-7/8" hole bit), windshield, MaxAir Engineering air intake (pod filters with crossover), Jet kit with predator needles (145 and 142.5 main jets and 117.5 pilots), fuel/air mixture thumb screws, Linby Linbar highway bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 08:35 PM

The lion's share of the effort and expense in that modification is going to be fabricating some method to remount all your indicators. Seems to me like the very best possible outcome will be a poorly performing speaker that only plays one side.

You can't get stereo through a single driver without buying a dual-voice coil speaker, and there are very few available in that size. You're still going to be disappointed though, because of the short cone excursion. The distortion you're hearing is from the bass, and a 5" in-tank speaker isn't going to have any bass either.

I see only two real possibilities that will give decent performance without spending a ton of money on a new fairing. The simplest would be some marine-grade enclosed speakers. They come in rectangle boxes around 6x8 and have threaded mounts. You could fabricate a bracket to mount them on your highway bars, or perhaps mount the bracket directly to the top of some hard bags if you have any.

Also, you get what you pay for. $20 Pyle speakers will sound like $20 speakers. These Kicker enclosures are pretty nice. Your Shark amp would still sound terrible paired with those speakers. You'd need something better like the Soundstream Nano. They're affordable and perform well.

Actually, that's pretty much the only method that's truly affordable. The next thing that came to mind was modifying one of those DMY trunks. Mine has 2-4" marine speakers mounted in it. If no one was sitting behind me I could also mount a front-firing 6.5" or 8" woofer in there, and then separate sub-enclosures for the small speakers to reduce distortion. That would require a pretty powerful amp though.

Bottom line, if you want big sound you're going to have to put some money into it. I do think the external enclosures with amp would work pretty good, but you're still going to have on the order of $300 into that when you're done.

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

2003 XVS650A V Star Classic
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

im not opposed to spending $300 or more... just not $1000 etc. im putting everything together to chop the bike up eventually. im not a big fan of going piece by piece, so I want to have everything in order before I start. don't want to have a "if I only knew" moment... as I so often have had lol.

as far as the stereo vs mono sound, if you bridge the wires, you'll still get all the sound out of one speaker.

the indicators shouldn't be much of a problem, as one of the aftermarket speedos im looking at has all the indicators in it (granted, its about $400 lol).

the whole point of this mod is to have a "hidden" stereo (I know, the speaker will be seen, but the grille will hide it some). by the way, the amp I plan to hide in the stock air cleaner enclosure (I gutted it when I put the pods on)

1999 V-Star 1100 Custom with driver backrest, all studded leather (seats, bags, backrests, etc), hole saw exhaust mod (1-7/8" hole bit), windshield, MaxAir Engineering air intake (pod filters with crossover), Jet kit with predator needles (145 and 142.5 main jets and 117.5 pilots), fuel/air mixture thumb screws, Linby Linbar highway bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 10:19 PM

You're planning on bridging both channels to one set of speaker connections? Have you ever wired both channels of your amplifier directly to one another? That's what you'll be doing. I hope you have spare fuses.

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

2003 XVS650A V Star Classic
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

my suggestion:

sounds a helluva lot better than any external speaker system on the highway

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

First off, if I wanted to run ear buds, I wouldn't be doing this project. Secondly, about bridging the channels on the amp... Have you never seen a 2 channel amp with a single subwoofer? Same exact theory. Trust me, it works.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

Not trying to sound rude or anything . Remember, this is going to be a custom bike by the time I'm done

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 06:40 AM

Drfaser, your plan is destined to produce more audio junk. Poor enclosure, insufficient speaker size, no stereo sound and very questionable execution, especially the wiring proposed all will combine to produce inferior results at best.

I suggest you bench test your setup before you disassemble your bike.

You said any opinions or advice are welcome. I expect mine to be as welcome as those above.

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Bench test = VERY good idea

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Also, any other suggestions (excluding ear buds etc) are also welcome. Keep in mind I want them "hidden" as much as possible. I will not have saddle bags or a windshield when I'm done.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode