rear wheel alignment - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

rear wheel alignment

Hey(04 vstar 1100 classic)
So I changed my wheel bearings and clutch spline gear on the rear hub today.
When putting my rear wheel back on I followed the Clymer manual to a T for the install and everything went together great but I noticed the final gear drive isn't equal distance around the wheel hub.
It's definitely a smaller gap on the top then the bottom, I loosened it all off and re torqued it all and the same thing.
With the rear end off the ground and the bike in neutral I can spin the wheel easily
Any thoughts?
It's been a month since I rode my bike and I'm itching to get back on the road
Thanks

Last edited by Jackedram; 08-22-2014 at 05:02 PM. Reason: added info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 06:33 PM

Something doesn't sound quite right. Not saying it's wrong, but from what I've seen they shouldn't be that way.

I'd pull the wheel/final drive off.....separate the drive from the wheel and insure that it's seated correctly. Also, check that you have the spacers set up right on the axle.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Yeah ill do that, back apart she comes
Seems strange to me how the camber could be off
The spacers don't have an angle to them to adjust camber and the axle only moves back and fourth so that would make the tire point left or right
Plus if the final drive wasn't seated properly there would be a tight spot which I haven't noticed.
If someone could look at their bike to see how it looks that would give me a starting point
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 09:42 PM

To see if the final drive is aligned with the wheel? Mine is perfectly equal all the way around and has been the dozens of times I've had it apart and back together.

Most likely you're not tightening things in the right sequence or the spacers are not in the right order.

Go HERE to get all the info you need to get it done. By the way....I believe most of the Clymers manuals have the incorrect torque spec for the final drive.

BTW...did you use Honda Moly 60 grease when you put it together?

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff

Last edited by Sick Mick; 08-22-2014 at 09:45 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

That link you recommended is all the exact same sequence and torque specs as the Clymer , and that's how I've done it and yes I used molly 60
Could something be bent or is it time to go to a shop
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 11:33 PM

Was it crooked like that when you took it apart?

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

That's what's driving me nuts is that I can't remember.
I don't understand what could cause it to be out that much and still be able to spin.
I'm going to rip it apart again and see if I missed something, but it all seems very straight forward and almost impossible to mess up.
I still think if it was out something would be binding
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

So I've had it apart and back together for the third time now and it's still the same as before .
Everything is equal around the hub until I tighten the final drive bolts down, it's almost like there should be some shims on the bottom two bolts between the swing arm and final drive even though there was never meant to be .
Everything spins freely and I went for a quick ride and checked the splines and it doesn't show any wear marks from being Uneven so I'm at a bit of a loss here.
Also is there supposed to be a gap between the final spacer on the brake side and the swing arm? There's no lip on the axle to squeeze the swing arm in to the wheel when you tighten the axle nut , just a bit of a strange setup to me, I'm used to chain drives
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 06:19 PM

No gap......there should be 2 spacers on the brake side....

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 07:38 PM

the axel has a shoulder machined on it so when you tighten the axel nut it pulls everything tight.the right side is held in position by the lightweight cap and two nuts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0360.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	35233  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode