V Star 1100 problems - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

V Star 1100 problems

I just installed a kuryakyn pro r hypercharger and rejetted the carbs on my 2001 v star 1100, I put a 125 main jet in the front carb and a 122.5 main in the back, according to the instructions I was supposed to lightly set the air to fuel mixture screw all the way down and then back it off two full turns, well I followed to instructions and I got a whole lot of popping and backfiring when I rode it. I took it all apart again and back out the atf screws another 3/4 of a turn and it got rid of the popping and backfiring, the only problem I have now is that it feels like it wants to die out at high rpms now. it does it in all gears at the higher rpms

I wanted to see if anyone here has had the same problem or if anyone here has a hypercharger?

do yall think I might need to back out the atf screws a little more? maybe its not getting enough fuel at the higher rpms?? I don't know, im a decent mechanic but not great, any tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 09:19 PM

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...g/carb-jetting scroll down a little to where it says hypercharger.it says to add a shim thats all i know about hyperchargers.. the link is from the wkb it has all the info about the 1100.third shift should be here soon you should read the wkb about starting procedure for your bike nice bike.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Nick, very helpful link!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 11:41 AM

I suggest that you check the couplers. I had similar problems when I installed mine and found that one of the couplers was blocked due to a casting defect. When reemed it out it immediately ran fine. As an aside: Periodically check the vacuum line to ensure that it remains attached as it has a tendency to come off in time. Also, I had to replace the diaphram at less than 30,000 miles. I initially thought that the butterflies were merely cosmetic, but after some reflection and discussion with others I concluded that if they were always completely open the bike would run too lean at all but full throttle. Hope this helps.

<::::>< er

2008 Candy Red 1100 Silverado
Passing Lamps
Cramp Buster Throttle
Risers, 3 X 1.5
Mustang Seat w/backrest
Passenger Floor Boards
Cut Down Windshield
Engine Guards
Highway Pegs
Kuryakyn Hypercharger and Jets
Samson Warlord II Ripsaw Pipes
Jardin OFR Kit
Barons Tachometer
Clock/Thermometer
Windshield Bag
Tank Bib with pocket
Luggage Rack (only on tour)
Sissy Bar Luggage (only on tour)
Leather Trimmings
Badges removed
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 05:16 PM

I installed the hypercharger-pro. Had the same issues. Re-jetted to 150 front and rear, removed the air box and installed the pods. I have the Cobra exhaust full system and the bike runs like a raped ape.

2009 1100 Classic
Memphis Fats Windshield
Cobra Slash Cuts
Hypercharger/pod-mod
4" floorboard extention
Mustang studded Hard bags
Showchrome sissy bar
Hopnel windshield bag
Stebel Nautilus Ear Cannon Horn
assorted chrome add-ons
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceanddixie View Post
I installed the hypercharger-pro. Had the same issues. Re-jetted to 150 front and rear, removed the air box and installed the pods. I have the Cobra exhaust full system and the bike runs like a raped ape.
By far the best way to go.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceanddixie View Post
Do you think I could just put in 150s with the charger and air box or do you think the pods are a must for the setup your talking about?

Yamaha v star 1100 classic
Upgrades: PCS concour spotlights and signals, cobra "drag" pipes, kuryakyn pro r hypercharger, river road saddle bags, Danny Gray 2 up seat, kuyrakyn iso grips, drag bars, PCS lowering kit (lowered 2 1/2"), PCS progressive rear spring, red led under lights

Upgrades to come: PCS triple x2 cams, PCS curburner exhaust, maybe flatside carbs??
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by court75 View Post
Do you think I could just put in 150s with the charger and air box or do you think the pods are a must for the setup your talking about?
Not with that Hyper Charger on there....150's are way too big. You need to follow the jetting instructions that came with it exactly....

Exactly what throttle position is it that you have the issue with. Have you tried turning the choke on slightly when it happens to see if the issue gets better or worse? That'll tell you if your rich or lean.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Man I don't know anymore, I just went out and rode and it feels like it's just the rev limiter, but it just doesn't seem right to me, it doesn't do it at any particular throttle position, just at high rpms. I ran it wide open today and the rev limits kicked in at 1st 30mph, 2nd 40mph, and 3rd 65mph I didnt get a chance to do 4th or 5th because I was in a 55mph speed zone, but the other day it seemed like the rev limiter was kicking in at about 80-85 in 5th when I was trying to pass a truck ( not a good feeling to have your bike feel like it's losing power when your trying to pass someone) i never had that problem before the hypercharger/rejet and 80-85 seems extremely slow for the rev limiter to be kicking in, any thoughts??

Yamaha v star 1100 classic
Upgrades: PCS concour spotlights and signals, cobra "drag" pipes, kuryakyn pro r hypercharger, river road saddle bags, Danny Gray 2 up seat, kuyrakyn iso grips, drag bars, PCS lowering kit (lowered 2 1/2"), PCS progressive rear spring, red led under lights

Upgrades to come: PCS triple x2 cams, PCS curburner exhaust, maybe flatside carbs??
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 11:40 AM

I don't go by what people think. I go with what works. My bike did exactly what yours did. I went to bike shops, the V-star forum and experimented. I've been running with 150's for several years and no problem. I probably did something wrong.

2009 1100 Classic
Memphis Fats Windshield
Cobra Slash Cuts
Hypercharger/pod-mod
4" floorboard extention
Mustang studded Hard bags
Showchrome sissy bar
Hopnel windshield bag
Stebel Nautilus Ear Cannon Horn
assorted chrome add-ons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode