Rejetted the bike and now its bogging out - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Rejetted the bike and now its bogging out

i just finished putting in the bigger 125 mains and 20 pilots, did 2 shims on the needles and adjusted the PMS to about 2.9 turns.... now its running shittier than ever...at first it was over flowing with gas, but now it starts fine without the choke, when I engage the choke it dies.... then if I shift to 1st gear and try to take off it really struggles to go and after its going it starts to bogg... what could be the issue here??.. am I missing something?... any advice is appreciated!! thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 05:27 PM

Did you put the mains and pilots in the right places? Are the needle holders seated correctly? You've definitely got something put together incorrectly. It could be many different things....

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mick View Post
Did you put the mains and pilots in the right places? Are the needle holders seated correctly? You've definitely got something put together incorrectly. It could be many different things....

yeah, everything went into place correctly.....could it be too rich now?? or maybe the floats stuck??/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 09:15 AM

The only thing you changed were the main jets and added a shim to the needles. The mains only come into use at over 1/2 throttle on up and the needles at about 1/4 throttle.

To me that indicates that your issue is probably with the needles....or that you put the main jets where the pilots should go and vice versa.

You really shouldn't be that rich with that intake and full pipes. However, we are kind of taking an educated guess on the jetting for your intake. From my experience with others using close to the same set up...the jetting shouldn't be that far off. However, we aren't there to actually see everything you have. You could put the stock jets back in, leave the shim on the needles and see what happens.

If it was me, I'd get back into the carbs and double check the reassembly....did you use the stock pilots like suggested?

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff

Last edited by Sick Mick; 08-27-2014 at 11:59 AM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 11:43 AM

What made you think you needed to re-jet in the first place? Was the bike giving you problems? Usually, when making these sorts of changes, it is recommended to make only one change at a time, and record the results. Then you will actually have a "paper trail" you can use to learn whether you made it better or worse with each change.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
The only thing you changed were the main jets and added a shim to the needles. The mains only come into use at over 1/2 throttle on up and the needles at about 1/4 throttle.

To me that indicates that your issue is probably with the needles....or that you put the main jets where the pilots should go and vice versa.

You really shouldn't be that rich with that intake and full pipes. However, we are kind of taking an educated guess on the jetting for your intake. From my experience with others using close to the same set up...the jetting shouldn't be that far off. However, we aren't there to actually see everything you have.

If it was me, I'd get back into the carbs and double check the reassembly....

Thats what im gonna do today.....im gonna take it apart again, mains and pilots both went into the right places...., im thinking the issue is gonna be in the floats , might have gotten moved from adjustment last time i took the carbs apart....i will double check again
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon View Post
What made you think you needed to re-jet in the first place? Was the bike giving you problems? Usually, when making these sorts of changes, it is recommended to make only one change at a time, and record the results. Then you will actually have a "paper trail" you can use to learn whether you made it better or worse with each change.
When you change the intake and exhaust you usually need to alter the jetting. That is why he is changing them. These 1100's are not so complicated that you should need to guess. We've got enough recorded data to get them damn close just by knowing what intake and exhaust are being used. No rocket science needed.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
When you change the intake and exhaust you usually need to alter the jetting. That is why he is changing them. These 1100's are not so complicated that you should need to guess. We've got enough recorded data to get them damn close just by knowing what intake and exhaust are being used. No rocket science needed.

What has me confused is that it fires right up no choke needed but when i put the choke on it dies.....i give the bike throttle and it throttles good while standing, its when I get it going in gear that starts to act up.....what would make it die when engaging the choke??
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Its that initial throttle thats givin issues..
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 03:41 PM

More gas needs more air!

2009 1100 Classic
Memphis Fats Windshield
Cobra Slash Cuts
Hypercharger/pod-mod
4" floorboard extention
Mustang studded Hard bags
Showchrome sissy bar
Hopnel windshield bag
Stebel Nautilus Ear Cannon Horn
assorted chrome add-ons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode