1100 Life Expectancy - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

1100 Life Expectancy

I've got a 2008 1100 with about 30,000 miles on it. I ride conservatively from 45-55 mph on back roads for the most part with occasional days of 70-75 mph for long hours on the interstates. I'm experiencing no problems with the bike at the moment, but am beginning to wonder at what point can I expect it to begin to have those nagging problems with plastic components and electronics that seem to come on with advanced age or ordinary wear and tear? I'm in my 70s and don't relish the thought of buying another bike for my estate to have to deal with, but I'd hate to spend part of my golden years stranded on the roadside waiting for a tow truck. Any thoughts on this? I'd especially appreciate the insight and experience of you high-milers out there. Thanks in advance.

<::::>< er

2008 Candy Red 1100 Silverado
Passing Lamps
Cramp Buster Throttle
Risers, 3 X 1.5
Mustang Seat w/backrest
Passenger Floor Boards
Cut Down Windshield
Engine Guards
Highway Pegs
Kuryakyn Hypercharger and Jets
Samson Warlord II Ripsaw Pipes
Jardin OFR Kit
Barons Tachometer
Clock/Thermometer
Windshield Bag
Tank Bib with pocket
Luggage Rack (only on tour)
Sissy Bar Luggage (only on tour)
Leather Trimmings
Badges removed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 07:58 PM

Plenty of them out there with close to 200,000 miles that are still going strong. You may have to replace a part or two here and there, but with reasonable care the costs should be comparatively minimal.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 08:22 PM

note to self, make list of problems of forum members.who break down on road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 09:01 PM

Garage
If you haven't alrwady done so, check your mid shaft nut for security. If it's started to back off torque it back up and stake it or even better, if it's still tight just stake it so it won't loosen.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 10:13 PM

http://www.customdynamics.com/LED_ba...anel_Mount_LEDInstalled one of these to keep an eye on the charging system.i check my mid shaft every winter, it came double staked nut and threads.think i'll take a look at it again.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 07:33 AM

This isn't a high mileage bike but a friend of mine has an 1100 that has not been pampered by any means and he's had no issues with it. Last time I looked it had 14k on it. There's just no way of telling when most things will fail (usually at the worst possible time). I know a guy who rode across the country on his bike with 80+k and had no major problems, this guy did a lot of PM to his, if something was even remotely wrong or he thought it has been on there too long he changed it out. Honestly though, the highest mileage bike Ive ever seen was on a HD ElectraGlide that had 138K that looked and ran like it was new.

2008/ 1300 V Star
Kuryakyn Pro R hypercharger
Road Burner 2.5" Street Pros
Dyno-Jet fuel processor
Yamaha OEM Passing lamps
Yamaha OEM highway bars Kuryakyn pegs
Tsukayu Strong JUMBO hard bags
Wicked Lightening green LED's
Kuryakyn Triple Whammy
RecklessMotorcycles fairing w/Rockford Fosgate amp
Klock Werk 6.5" windshield

V&H Big Shots for sale
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 07:49 AM

Garage
Having read these forums for years I can tell you that most of the
brake downs are caused by the operator, not the machine.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 08:05 AM

A person from a big dealer said that religious PM is what makes bikes last. Do what the manual says and you will get a quarter million or more miles out of it. There is a story of a senator who got 1 million miles out of a Harley, albeit, he's put 11 motors in it. If you follow the manual and do the proper greasing/adjusting/inspecting, etc, (don't forget swing arms, steering bearings, wheel bearings, etc), it will run for a lot of miles. I would also say that with an air cooled engine the oil should be changed a bit more frequently than what the manual says, but that's just me.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 12:11 PM

Actually with Dave Zien's bike (the former Senator from my town in Wisconsin) He bought the bike new in Madison. To get to a million miles, he refurbished or overhauled the engine nine times, installed two new engines and went through 105 rear tires and nine seats. He says he's documented the million miles with receipts for gas and repairs.

Oh, and I have 53K on my 06 1100 Silverado and it still runs like new.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 03:28 PM

We all know that a bike used little and neglected is worse than a bike used often and maintained and serviced. So I wouldn't give up on a bike just for increasing mileage as long as service and maintenance is kept up.

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode