Engine sounds Whimpy - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Engine sounds Whimpy

I got the bike just at the start of the Spring, Use it mainly to commute, but do some weekend riding as well.
about a month ago, I changed the oil, oil filter, and noticed not long afterwards, the bike started sounding different. The bike has Cobra pipes, and When I first got the bike, It had a deep rumble sound, Not it sounds like an overgrown scooter.
I thought it may be related to valve adjustments, so I broke it down and adjust the intake and exhaust valves to spec. Still, it continued to have that higher pitch sound when running, Next step was breaking the carbs down and cleaning.
I also notice that if the bike is not running, and I check oil lvl, the oil fills the sight glass, but when its running, it goes down just below the fill line.
The bike is still peppy, in fact, after the valve adjustments and carb cleaning, it way more peppy then it was from the beginning.
I'm at lost on what else I can do to get the bike sounding normal again.
I should add also, while the engine sounds like its a higher pitch, it is also much louder then it was previously.

Any thoughts, or ideas from you guys would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 04:09 PM

you don't say what type of bike.i would say carbs that are out of sinc can sound odd also check the pms settings maybe ones leaner than the other
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 06:52 PM

I'm following this thread with interest because that's what my son-in-law's 1100 is doing. He went from stock exhaust to Vance and Hines slip-ons and rejetted accordingly. The bike then sounded like a weed wacker. He liked the sound of my Samson Ripsaws so he installed a set of Samson Side-Slash and his bike sounded like a chainsaw. I jokingly told him that if he wanted his bike to sound like a Harley, he should probably get a Harley. Next thing I knew he rode up on a Road King and the 1100 went to a dealership to be sold under consignment. When I stopped in the dealership to 'kick tires' I asked him if my son-in-law's bike had any nibbles on it. The dealer told me that someone had shown interest, but when he heard the bike run he walked away from it because of its cheesy sound. I've ridden the bike and it seems to run fine. The dealer has ridden it and says it runs fine. So we both agree that it seems to run fine but sounds like crap when it's running. My last bit of advice to the son-in-law is to reinstall the stock set up and try to sell it that way.

<::::>< er

2008 Candy Red 1100 Silverado
Passing Lamps
Cramp Buster Throttle
Risers, 3 X 1.5
Mustang Seat w/backrest
Passenger Floor Boards
Cut Down Windshield
Engine Guards
Highway Pegs
Kuryakyn Hypercharger and Jets
Samson Warlord II Ripsaw Pipes
Jardin OFR Kit
Barons Tachometer
Clock/Thermometer
Windshield Bag
Tank Bib with pocket
Luggage Rack (only on tour)
Sissy Bar Luggage (only on tour)
Leather Trimmings
Badges removed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 08:54 PM

Fix the exhaust leaks

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

My apologies, the bike is a 03' Vstar 650 Classic.

As for the exhaust leak, the exhaust was the first thing I perform a check on.
When I'm riding the bike, I can hear the sound coming from the tip of the pipes also.
One other thing I forgot to mention. If I go from a stop, and apply alot of throttle, the engine seems like it comes to life briefly, having that deep Vtwin rubble, But goes away quickly back to the wimpy sound.
If I'm at a stop, and give a quick twist of the throttle, it has the deep rumble. Idling is not smooth, Sometimes idle is low, and sometimes idles high. But does not have a miss.
Also failed to mention, replaced plugs a few weeks ago also, Used the factory spec NGK's and double checked gap before installing.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 10:09 PM

Check your baffles, even go as far as remove them and test ride it. See if that makes a difference. One other issue worth looking at is the intake, if you install freer flowing exhaust you also need more intake, maybe just a K&N type filter?

87' 1100 Sportster (caffeine runner)
05' 1100 Custom Midnight Edition
07' 1300 V Star Tourer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode