Need some help with my 1100. Bogging down bad. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Need some help with my 1100. Bogging down bad.

So I recently purchased an 08 1100 custom. The bike had sat for quite a while, so the first thing I did was tear off the tank and clean the hell out of the carbs. Ran seafoam through the engine and she was purring like a kitty.

I did some research after being aggravated by the snap crackle and popping on deceleration, so I bypassed the ais system by plugging them into one another until I get to shoot my .45 next.

Anyways, problems arose yesterday. At about 80mph I felt the engine die down quite a bit, almost like it was running on one cylinder. I thought maybe it was the fuel (I was at about 110 miles on the odo) so I switched to reserve, but she never came around. Exited, fueled up, and ended up limping her home.

She starts great, she idles great, but as soon as I get her to about 1/4 throttle I loose all power and she just bogs down like a son of a bitch. I can shift through gears and get her up to about 55mph but it bogs in all gears.

Since then I've re enabled my ais system and checked the spark plugs, which are fine. I've got a dyno jet kit laying around (I know, whatever), so I'd really like to go ahead and jet it even though I plan on putting some chubby pods on it in the very near future. I don't mind jetting it again.

The bike has slip on (I think) V&H exhaust system, other then that no modifications to my knowledge. Only 3500 miles on the sucker.

What are y'alls recommendations? Should I pull apart the carbs and go ahead and jet it? If so, what sizes should I use seeing as the V&H exhaust is the only modification? Any other potential solutions to the issue?

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 05:35 PM

You've probably got more junk in the carbs. Carefully run a small wire through all the holes in the pilots and then do the mains as well. Check that both needles are seated properly. Make sure the float needles move easily (don't bend the floats)....remember you've got 7 years of crud built up in there on a bike that has done nothing but sit it's entire life.

Now...about jetting....why in the world do you want to change jets when you've done nothing to the bike to need it? Jetting isn't some magic thing that happens to make your bike suddenly work better. It's only done when you make changes to the intake or exhaust to compensate for the changes. Do yourself a favor and toss that jet kit in the garbage or sell it on ebay to some unsuspecting soul. There is absolutely nothing in there that you need.

Hoping you checked the date code on the tires...older than 5 years means it's replacement time....also flush all the old brake fluid and fill with fresh.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mick View Post
You've probably got more junk in the carbs. Carefully run a small wire through all the holes in the pilots and then do the mains as well. Check that both needles are seated properly. Make sure the float needles move easily (don't bend the floats)....remember you've got 7 years of crud built up in there on a bike that has done nothing but sit it's entire life.

Now...about jetting....why in the world do you want to change jets when you've done nothing to the bike to need it? Jetting isn't some magic thing that happens to make your bike suddenly work better. It's only done when you make changes to the intake or exhaust to compensate for the changes. Do yourself a favor and toss that jet kit in the garbage or sell it on ebay to some unsuspecting soul. There is absolutely nothing in there that you need.

Hoping you checked the date code on the tires...older than 5 years means it's replacement time....also flush all the old brake fluid and fill with fresh.
I've got rebuild kits for the carbs, including the manifold and all o rings, so I'll be doing that tonight. Hopefully I can find wherever it's been gunked up and clean it out once and for all.

I have replaced the tires and the brake fluid, thanks for the thoughts.

In relation to jetting, I guess you must have missed that it's got an aftermarket V&H exhaust. The previous owner told me that a mechanic put them on, but wasn't able to tell me if he'd jetted the carbs to go with it or not. Considering the amount of backfiring, I'd venture to guess that he hasn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurrke View Post
I've got rebuild kits for the carbs, including the manifold and all o rings, so I'll be doing that tonight. Hopefully I can find wherever it's been gunked up and clean it out once and for all.

I have replaced the tires and the brake fluid, thanks for the thoughts.

In relation to jetting, I guess you must have missed that it's got an aftermarket V&H exhaust. The previous owner told me that a mechanic put them on, but wasn't able to tell me if he'd jetted the carbs to go with it or not. Considering the amount of backfiring, I'd venture to guess that he hasn't.
I didn't miss it....you said it was slip ons...those do nothing for performance, all they do is make more noise. No need to change jets. The stock head pipes are where the restrictions are.

To stop the backfire just adjust the pilot mixture screws out about 1/2 to 3/4 turn.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mick View Post
I didn't miss it....you said it was slip ons...those do nothing for performance, all they do is make more noise. No need to change jets. The stock head pipes are where the restrictions are.

To stop the backfire just adjust the pilot mixture screws out about 1/2 to 3/4 turn.
I rebuilt the carbs last night and indeed there was gunk in one of the main jets. The last time I cleaned it I cleaned it on the outside, stupidly ignoring the build up on the inside. I did my best to clean it out without a pipe cleaner, is it safe to soak them in carb cleaner?

Anyways, put her back together and she's runnin great. I'll drill out the pilot screws next time I'm under the tank and deal with the backfire for now. Is there an easy way to adjust them while running the bike without taking the tank on and off every time? Can I just stick the fuel line in a gas can and let it draw from there?

Also, I fucked around and tightened one of the throttle lines too far, so it snapped. Will have to be picking one up in the next few days. I attached a picture of it. That's the bottom half, unattached to the top half. Lol.

Thanks for your help, bud.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0748.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	35465  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 04:18 PM

Some guys have had success adjusting the PM screws with a flexible shaft screwdriver. There are a couple of different types of extended PM screws that stick out far enough to adjust with the carbs in place and tank in place. There is a video of a guy that made his own extended screws. I got the Maxair screws and I like them. I can reach with my fingers or use a piece of 1/4" fuel line over the knurled adjustment knobs. I marked them with some detail paint so I can tell what a half turn or a full turn is and I've had no problems with them.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

I saw the ones that were jb welded on the wiki, I might give that a try. Wish I had more time to tear her apart again, work is killing me lately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode