Opinions and suggestions? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Opinions and suggestions?

Hey all,

Not a brand new rider, but new to the forums. Looking for any thoughts/suggestions regarding grabbing a Vstar this week. Hoping it is okay to post here with my questions.

A little about me - rode a ton when I was a kid up to about 18 - a lot of trail riding and some road. Bought an 81 Seca 750 in my late twenties and rode for about five years before selling it to have cash for other stuff. Now 41, looking to get back into riding.

I am looking at a 09 VStar 1300 Tourer, 16K miles. Looks pretty good to my rather untrained eye. Comes with orig and short windscreen, two sets of pipes (orig and some aftermarket 2 tube pipes - seller says are Yamaha parts), upgraded double horn, chrome engine guard bars, and chrome bars around the bags. Galaxy blue paint looks great, no visible rust on the bike anywhere that I can see. Sounds great to my untrained ear, though I am going to have a close friend who is a mechanic take a listen for what it is worth. Asking price is $6300, but the guy said he will take $5500. It has tags on it, and has been recently inspected. Price seems good to me, but you all are the experts. 16K seems high compared to other bikes of that year, but still lower than what KBB says about that model/year.

Also, I would like to make sure that this bike is appropriate for my size and experience. I am around 6'4" and about 350. It seems to hold me well when I sit on it, but I just want to make sure there are other guys my size out there riding it. I understand the rear shock has nine adjustments, so I am curious what I might want to set it on for my size. I am way passed being a daredevil and just want something to blow the dust out of my hair after work.

Any help at all is appreciated. Thanks very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 02:13 PM

I have a 1300 Deluxe and couldn't be happier. I'm 6 feet at 190 and am very comfortable on the bike. I suspect I will get an aftermarket saddle for myself and passenger.

Like you I returned to motorcycling after many years away. The 1300 is an easy bike to handle for its size. With your size you will want to evaluate the shock preload just to make sure it is set to keep from bottoming out.

I suspect that if the bike doesn't have forward controls, with your height you may want to look into some changes.

If you haven't taken a beginning motorcycling course, I recommend a course as a refresher.

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS

Last edited by Slayer; 09-01-2014 at 02:23 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 06:51 PM

Those bikes have a long life expectancy. You can get 100,000 miles out of almost any Star as long as you keep it properly maintained. 16,000 miles might be higher than many from that year, but it's still only around 3,000 miles a year.

I've put a total of 14,000 miles on my two bikes since April, and I'm sure a lot of people on this forum far surpassed that. Personally I'd rather buy a bike that has clearly been getting some miles put on it. That means the owner is keeping it properly maintained.

Pretty decent price, and sometimes negotiating can be uncomfortable, but I would say that if the guy is "asking" $6300 but will take $5500, then he's actually asking $5500. This is a pretty tough time of year to be selling. I'd tell him you'd be a lot more comfortable around $4,900, mention how high that mileage seems comparatively and see what he says.

A tougher negotiator than me once told me..."Don't be afraid of tension. If it's not tense, you're not really negotiating."

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

2003 XVS650A V Star Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate that info, thanks. Good to hear that there is a lot of life left in the bike, assuming it is in as good of shape as it looks. I guess buying used you are always taking that gamble.

I have never been a great negotiator, although I have a father who is wonderful at it. But I think in this case I am going to go for the tension a bit. As they say in those old instant coffee commercials..."let's see what happens!"

Thanks for the advice.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 07:45 PM

Like someone said, thats roughly 3-3200 miles a season providing he bought it in 09. I would check to see what maintenance is needed around that mileage, if I remember right a valve adjustment is needed or coming up soon but the owner's manual will say for sure. I wouldn't want to buy a bike then in a month or two sink several hundred bucks into it unless the price was right. You can always ask for a lower price but you don't want to lowball him so bad he gets pissed. Pretty much people use the NADA prices and you could check for that on line. Another tip, if your really interested go there with cash! People respond to cash a lot more than a bank check etc. As far as checking the bike over, I would start out looking for basic things like tire tread and condition (tires aren't cheap these days), brake pads, any weird wear marks on the rotors, leaks, color of brake fluid and coolant. As far as the bike fitting you, like Slayer said forward controls are fairly cheap and do wonders for taller guys and being a bigger guy might want to check the carrying capacity, I THINK and Im not positive but the touring model only has a carrying capacity of around 5-600lbs but thats bags then if they're loaded, passenger etc. maybe someone could chime in on the exact weight capacity. Im sure it would be fine, it's not like your on a 500cc bike

2008/ 1300 V Star
Kuryakyn Pro R hypercharger
Road Burner 2.5" Street Pros
Dyno-Jet fuel processor
Yamaha OEM Passing lamps
Yamaha OEM highway bars Kuryakyn pegs
Tsukayu Strong JUMBO hard bags
Wicked Lightening green LED's
Kuryakyn Triple Whammy
RecklessMotorcycles fairing w/Rockford Fosgate amp
Klock Werk 6.5" windshield

V&H Big Shots for sale

Last edited by Moneypit; 09-01-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode