washing question - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

washing question

Laugh if you want. I'm embarrassed to ask but I figure I'd better before regretting it later. I have just acquired my father-n-laws bike (V Star 1100 Classic) It has sat for awhile, pretty dirty and in need of a wash. Anything I need to know before spraying this thing down and shining it up? Do I need to stay away from certain things with the sprayer or cover something up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 10:41 AM

I think that if you keep water out of the air intake and don't use a too high-pressure spray that could dislodge some electrical connections or blast the grease out of bearings you'll be OK. That being said, I only wash my bike when I've ridden in the rain and it is covered with road grime. At all other times I routinely use an instant detailing product in a spray bottle to clean off the bug splatter from leading surfaces and to dust off the chrome and painted surfaces. I clean the leather with saddle soap and then treat it with mink oil twice a year. I suspect that you'll get a variety of replies from others.

<::::>< er

2008 Candy Red 1100 Silverado
Passing Lamps
Cramp Buster Throttle
Risers, 3 X 1.5
Mustang Seat w/backrest
Passenger Floor Boards
Cut Down Windshield
Engine Guards
Highway Pegs
Kuryakyn Hypercharger and Jets
Samson Warlord II Ripsaw Pipes
Jardin OFR Kit
Barons Tachometer
Clock/Thermometer
Windshield Bag
Tank Bib with pocket
Luggage Rack (only on tour)
Sissy Bar Luggage (only on tour)
Leather Trimmings
Badges removed
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. It sat outside for a week after he passed and they were doing some construction down the street. Its just really filthy and needs a good spray down and detailing. He always put a cover over it but he passed the day after he had parked it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 01:53 PM

Not saying your going to but I wouldn't use a pressure washer, just a hose and if you have a nozzle that has the different settings thats even better. I like the "shower" setting on mine, it's low pressure but a good amount of water. You dont want to go spraying under the seat and I would keep it away from the air intake. Im like Michael, I rarely "wash" mine unless I get stuck in the rain or really dusty riding. I use Wizard products and they are some of the best products out there in my opinion. I specifically use Wizards Mist and Shine detailer and their Magic or Master Shine.

2008/ 1300 V Star
Kuryakyn Pro R hypercharger
Road Burner 2.5" Street Pros
Dyno-Jet fuel processor
Yamaha OEM Passing lamps
Yamaha OEM highway bars Kuryakyn pegs
Tsukayu Strong JUMBO hard bags
Wicked Lightening green LED's
Kuryakyn Triple Whammy
RecklessMotorcycles fairing w/Rockford Fosgate amp
Klock Werk 6.5" windshield

V&H Big Shots for sale
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 02:50 PM

Generally for washing a motorcycle the same products for washing a car will work. Nothing too harsh. I use Turtle Wax Wash and Wax to wash and I use standard non abrasive auto wax to wax the color parts. Usually a good rub with a microfiber cloth after washing will shine the shiny metal parts. Avoid tire dressings they aren't compatible with the traction needs of motorcycles.

The pressure washer opinions vary, mine is a pressure washer isn't the BEST tool for a routine wash of a motorcycle. However, if you know how to properly use a pressure washer, then you will know to use the proper nozzle and distance from the motorcycle not to damage anything, compromise electrical systems or wash away necessary grease.

I do not use a pressure washer to wash my motorcycle because it is too much hassle for the size job. A pressure washer is more suited for bigger jobs like trucks, tractors, farm equipment, houses, decks etc.

A simple bucket wash with plenty of soap and water is quick and easy.

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I just used a garden hose with my thumb over the end to make a sprayer. Did the trick. Wiped it down with a shammy, detailed it with some Meguiar's Quik Detailer, microfiber cloth and she's looking new again. Well, kind of. With being a 2008 and only 2400 miles on it this thing has sat a lot and there's annoying little rust marks in some of the chrome. I'm going to have to do some work on it. But from a distance she looks great..lol
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 05:15 PM

I use a product called "Never dull" to get rid of small bits rust and polish bright work. It comed with handy wadding to use when polishing. I found it at auto stores like advanced auto. It's worked for me cleaning up the drive shaft etc.

BLUE BIKE CLUB
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlawrence View Post
I use a product called "Never dull" to get rid of small bits rust and polish bright work. It comed with handy wadding to use when polishing. I found it at auto stores like advanced auto. It's worked for me cleaning up the drive shaft etc.
Thanks. I'll look into it.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 11:31 PM

There is a great product out there called "Bike Brite." It comes in a spray bottle. With a dry bike, spray on chrome, wheels and anything powder coated. Make sure you get between the cooling fins on the cylinders and heads. Let sit about 10 minutes and then hose it off. This stuff makes the powder coat look like new, and gives the chrome some shine too. I then hand wash with my car wash soap and rinse. I use a two, sometimes three step drying process. The synthetic chamois type towel, air compressor for the bolt heads and tight spaces, and if weather allows a quick rip up the road.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 06:05 AM

washing question

I used to wash my bike with water and car soap. It been about 2-3 yrs that I use a wash and wax that you can purchase at any store and/or buy it online for that matter. And if I need to use water it's very little from a bottle with a spray nozzle. Personally if don't get rid of the excess water after washing it with a garden hose eventually in time certain parts will rust...that's my opinion. Id rather ride than wash my bike all day lol

Last edited by vstarjoe; 09-03-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode