Heavy Duty Luggage Rack - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Heavy Duty Luggage Rack

Greetings. I own an 05 VStar 650 Classic which, up until recently, I've ridden solo. My wife has been afraid of riding so I couldn't get her on it. However, she has recently thawed and is getting interested. I'd like to install either a sissy bar or a luggage rack with a hard trunk. I prefer the latter because it looks more substantial and I think she might like it more. However, I want to ensure the luggage rack is strong enough to handle her leaning back on the trunk. Any issues with this in anybody's mind? I found another thread that discussed this somewhat, and there was a comment that with the 650 and the weight of two of us on it, it might not be good to add more weight with a trunk. But I will mostly be using the trunk for a backrest, and for lightweight stuff on short day trips. Nothing heavy.

Opinions? And does anybody have a suggestion for a good heavy duty luggage rack that would support a trunk / backrest?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 04:06 PM

Check out the Hepco Becker luggage rack. You can add any of the Hepco Becker Top Cases to that luggage rack. I used the HB products on my Moto Guzzi and also my Triumph Rocket 3. They are very well made and not heavy.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 07:04 PM

I want to encourage you and your wife to ride together, but keep in mind what you're working with. It's a 650. Every little extra bit of weight presents a challenge for it. Also consider the load triangle. The closer a passenger is to you, the more natural the load distribution is. Putting the trunk out back, with the passenger leaning back against it, really messes with the handling of the bike.

My wife didn't like riding with me until I got a trunk with a wraparound backrest, so I understand where you're coming from. You're going to have to get used to having a passenger too though. The more weight you put further and further behind you, the more difficult it's going to be to keep the ride smooth and secure feeling. You might want to get a little practice in with her and a sissy bar before you go all out and try to bag out a 650.

If you do decide to go all out, get a decent shelf for mounting your trunk. Lots of people put trunks on those dinky parcel shelves because they fit. They conveniently overlook the rated weight of 10 lbs. I can't tell anyone how to live, but my wife's safety is very important to me. She'll take me at my word when I say something is safe. You can bet I don't tell her something is safe unless I truly believe it.

This is the trunk mount I have had on both of my Roadstars. They make one for the 650 as well. http://www.wompusracks.com/yamaha-rack.html. Best part is that you can use it as a luggage rack along with a sissy bar if you decide to remove the trunk. Gives you a little more flexibility with your configurations.

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

2003 XVS650A V Star Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 10:17 PM

+1 on the Wompus rack. I went over had it mounted at his shop. It is a one man operation and he makes a great rack. If you aren't sure about something, give him a call.

Larry (2014 950 Tour)
My google photos
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the great responses!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 04:20 PM
SSC

Got this one off eBay 80 bucks came with the brackets but they did not fit the silverado. I was able to use what I had and make it work. I'm sure you can find one that fits your bike. My wife hated the factory sissy bar
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	35594  

2008 V-Star Silverado 1100. K&N filter, airbox mod passenger floor boards, all light visors, ISO grips, Cobra slash cut mufflers, Saddleman touring seat/ tourpack. Lots of little extras.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 04:45 PM

Yes weight positioning is important
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	riding position.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	35602  

2014 Stratoliner Deluxe

A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop. - Robert Hughes
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 04:57 PM

Check this web page
http://www.mutazu.com/products.php?c...285&s=prod.php
I have one on my 1100 and my wife loves it

midway mike
2001 v-star 1100
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 06:55 PM
SSC

The one mike posted is the same one I got off eBay except eBay seller provides all the extras very impressed with the quality and finish just wish it were fiberglass

2008 V-Star Silverado 1100. K&N filter, airbox mod passenger floor boards, all light visors, ISO grips, Cobra slash cut mufflers, Saddleman touring seat/ tourpack. Lots of little extras.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willajabir View Post
+1 on the Wompus rack. I went over had it mounted at his shop. It is a one man operation and he makes a great rack. If you aren't sure about something, give him a call.
+2 on the Wompus Rack. It took 20 minutes to install (10 minutes of which was spent looking for a misplaced grommet from my hard bag) and it is sturdy and good looking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode