Which re-jet kit is the most versatile? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Which re-jet kit is the most versatile?

I'm probably going to get the Roadburner 2.5 pipes for my V Star 650.

I'm trying to figure out which re-jet kit is the most versatile. I've seen a lot of posts on the net about people saying X re-jet kit didn't have the jet that was right for their setup.

It looks like the Cobra and the Dynojet kits for V Star 650 are exactly the same. You get two different sets of main jets.

The Baron kit looks like it might come with three choices of main jets instead of two. I can't find a description of what the Vance & Hines kit includes.

Initially I only plan to add the pipes. But if I get a big air kit down the road, I don't want to have to buy a second jet kit later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 02:57 PM

Forget the kit, just but the Mikuni 2 jets you need....about $10 max. The kit is designed for one thing....to drain your wallet for a bunch of stuff you'll just throw away.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mick View Post
Forget the kit, just but the Mikuni 2 jets you need....about $10 max. The kit is designed for one thing....to drain your wallet for a bunch of stuff you'll just throw away.
Is there a guide that shows which jets to get?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 05:02 PM

What Sick Mick said. If it was me, I'd try to find someone who has the same set-up you plan on having and go from there. A little leg work will save a lot of time in the end.

2009 1100 Classic
Memphis Fats Windshield
Cobra Slash Cuts
Hypercharger/pod-mod
4" floorboard extention
Mustang studded Hard bags
Showchrome sissy bar
Hopnel windshield bag
Stebel Nautilus Ear Cannon Horn
assorted chrome add-ons
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 07:06 PM

you can do a google search,vstar 650 jetting
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick57 View Post
you can do a google search,vstar 650 jetting
Probably just need 1 size larger mains....if it is a stock intake. Pretty basic set up.

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Probably just need 1 size larger mains....if it is a stock intake. Pretty basic set up.
I've been trying to figure out what is so great about the kits. You get a grooved needle that is easier to shim with provided clips. However, 650ccnd.com makes it sound pretty easy to use #4 washers with the stock needles for the same effect. You also get a drill bit and a self-tapping screw for the brass plugs. Which I could easily find a drill bit and a screw in my garage to use.

The Stage 1 Dynojet kit and the Cobra kit, which are both exactly the same thing, are listed at $75-$90. They include one jet size to boost the power of a stock setup and a second jet size for aftermarket pipe with stock air filter. The online instructions don't list the actual size of the jets though. Based on what http://650ccnd.com says I'm guesses they would be something like 115 and 120. versus the stock size of 110.

As best I can tell, your just paying a lot for the grooved pilot needles with the kits.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle76 View Post
As best I can tell, your just paying a lot for the grooved pilot needles with the kits.
.....And you should immediately toss the needles in the garbage can where they belong. The stock needles are easiest to tune.

So you're right....there is absolutely no good reason to buy a kit unless you just like tossing money out the window. If your Yamaha dealer doesn't have Mikuni jets, any Harley dealer will....the max you'll spend on small round mains is about $5 each.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
.....And you should immediately toss the needles in the garbage can where they belong. The stock needles are easiest to tune.

So you're right....there is absolutely no good reason to buy a kit unless you just like tossing money out the window. If your Yamaha dealer doesn't have Mikuni jets, any Harley dealer will....the max you'll spend on small round mains is about $5 each.
Thanks for the tip.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 10:28 AM

Are you going to get a big air kit? I got the roadburner street pros on mine too with this filter:

You will need the baron kit. 112.5 main jets on the 4th groove needle.

If you don't want big air kit, just go with stage 1 dynojet and your bike will run perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode