Handlebar removal v star 1100 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Handlebar removal v star 1100

I bought some Bitwell Chumps handlebars and was just wondering if I need to loosen or remove any of the cables for removal or do the gas/brake and clutch assemblies basically slide off without loosing the cables?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 08:51 AM

Removing the clutch cable is really easy. I'd recommend doing that so you can shift the bar to the left for removal. That will allow you to slide the hydraulic brake line off without having to open it up. The throttle controls easily split into two parts by removing a couple screws, and they'll be immediately out of your way.

**edit**
Removing the left handgrip can be a little tricky too. Depending on how firmly it's glued to the bars, you might be unable to remove it without damaging the grip. Just FYI. Nothing I hate more than to disassemble my working bike and be stuck 95% of the way through a fix, with a bike that can't be safely ridden until I find a part somewhere.

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

2003 XVS650A V Star Classic

Last edited by pangea33; 09-09-2014 at 08:54 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pangea33 View Post
Removing the clutch cable is really easy. I'd recommend doing that so you can shift the bar to the left for removal. That will allow you to slide the hydraulic brake line off without having to open it up. The throttle controls easily split into two parts by removing a couple screws, and they'll be immediately out of your way.

**edit**
Removing the left handgrip can be a little tricky too. Depending on how firmly it's glued to the bars, you might be unable to remove it without damaging the grip. Just FYI. Nothing I hate more than to disassemble my working bike and be stuck 95% of the way through a fix, with a bike that can't be safely ridden until I find a part somewhere.
Thanks for the tip I'll undo the clutch cable. Also the previous owner put Kurakyn iso grips on, it would be nice if the grip came of in one piece.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 12:01 PM

I've seen people suggest spraying WD-40 up in between the grip and bar. Also sliding a very thin screwdriver into the gap and moving it around to break the seal.

Personally I just use hairspray rather than superglue to attach the grips. Hopefully it'll be the same condition. I'd start with attempting the remove the left grip. If that goes smoothly, everything else should be cake.

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

2003 XVS650A V Star Classic
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

My handle bars came in but they were too short and I exchanged them with 12" Bitwell apes. Is the brake line the only line that needs to be extended? Also the clutch cable can just be rerouted behind the triple trees to avoid having to buy a longer one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode