04 1100 star -Electrical Problem? Help - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

04 1100 star -Electrical Problem? Help

I hav an 04 100 classic with about 30k miles on it. Pretty much stock except for some slip ons. Several times on my last few rides it starts skipping and looses power, barely keeps running. Just pull over and stop , turn key off. and then restart and it will run fine. Its happened on expressway riding 70mph and at 40mph leaving a parking lot. Several other times just climbing through the gears. Never stranded but kind of unsettling. Seems like it may be electrical but have no idea where to start. Any ideas? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 04:11 PM

Is it sputtering like its out of fuel or does it just die like you flipped the kill switch? I would start by disassembling the kill switch and the ignition switch and look for loose or frayed wires. You say it basically fixes it when you turn off the key so I would start there.
I may be way off but that's where I would start.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 04:36 AM

My old Virago used to do the exact same thing. I went nuts looking at electrical wiring and grounds. It turned out to be a dirty fuel system. Full of chunks of rust. When I would stop for a minute apparently the chunks would settle out and then it would run great for awhile. As soon as I disassembled and cleaned the entire fuel system it never happened again. Not saying that's what's wrong with yours. Just saying don't focus too hard on one thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 07:57 AM

I think I'd be checking the fuel system. Dirty screen in the gas tank, clogged vent in the gas cap, dirty filter if it has one. For a quick start, get a strong flashlight and look into the fuel tank for any signs of dirt or rust. Steel gas tanks have a habit of rusting if they get moisture in them, and ethanol fuels are said to attract moisture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode