Windshield and other questions - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Windshield and other questions

Hello!

I just got home from an apprx 60 mile ride this evening. I wanted to take it out today now that the intital "OMG I got a new motorcycle"
has worn off lol! The first thing i noticed is the top of my helmet rattling around at road speeds. So my these are my questions about the 2014 950T:

1. Can I move the stock windshield up or do I need to replace it with a tall one?

2. Will the larger gap around the headlight bring more wind in and negate the changes made by raising the windshield?

3. I can see the value in allowing more air into the air intake. What is the best brand name for the limited mod dollars I have right now? Ive seen a few out there Im just looking for best bang for buck type intake mod.

4. Anyone have any plug and play options/websites or recommendations for upgrading the lights to LED? The headlight Ill get to eventually but the marker /turn signal Id like to change over the winter to LED.

5. I feel like Id be more comfortable if the handlebars were back toward me maybe an inch or even less? Product suggestions to make this happen? Im not uncomfortable per say nad the 60 miles tongiht felt like three .... but it feels like I am reaching a bit. Maybe Im still adjusting to the bike.

6. I am thinking about and engine guard. I like the look of the linbar but not the price. Are the OEM bars good and then what highway pegs do I put on them? Also in the same thoght Id like to change the grips out ... I see lots of ISO grips are there any others that are just as good or as highly recommended?

7. Is it possible to add an additional plug for usb charging or heated gear?

With all those questions aside ....

Thank you for taking the time to read this! I appreciate all your future help!

Julie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014raven950t.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	36177  

Last edited by firekeeperjml; 09-12-2014 at 09:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 10:06 PM

Julie, I can't answer all your questions, but here's what I can offer"

1. No, you cannot raise the OEM windshield. You'll have to replace it with another OEM. OR...you can buy a custom windshield from the following. It fits the 950 brackets exactly; negating the need to buy new mounting bracketsl

http://www.7jurock.com/store/index.p...&productId=314

If you buy from them, the area around the headlight will not change, regardless of what size shield you order.

As to grips, I have the ISO grips and love them. It's one of the first things I change on all the bikes I've owned.

Regarding the handlebars, there are many options. Most people change out the stock seat with an aftermarket. I switched to a Mustang seat which put me closer to the bars by a small amount. I was able to kill two birds with one stone (albiet a costly one). The Mustang seats are not cheap, but well worth the money.

Jeff
BLUE BIKE CLUB
2012 V-Star 950T-Impact Blue

Kuryakyn ISO grips
Back-Off taillight modulator
OEM passing lights
OEM luggage rack
OEM engine guards, saddlebag guards and trim rails
Marlin Talon gauges
Show Chrome Headlight & Passing Light visors
Mustang 2 piece wide touring seat with backrest/studs
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 11:12 AM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmaster View Post
Regarding the handlebars, there are many options. Most people change out the stock seat with an aftermarket. I switched to a Mustang seat which put me closer to the bars by a small amount. I was able to kill two birds with one stone (albiet a costly one). The Mustang seats are not cheap, but well worth the money.
I agree. The Mustang saddle (with back rest) is well worth its expense, especially on those days where you ride beyond 300 miles. It moves you about 1 inch closer to the bars and raises you about 1/2 inch. Anyway, after installing your seat of choice you can then tweak your fit with a variety of handlebars or risers and/or foot control extensions. In my opinion money spent on achieving perfect 'bike-fit' should come before performance mods, but YMMV.

Regarding engine guards: I simply went with the OEM guards, installed Kuryakyn pegs quite low so I could rest my heels on the floorboards with my feet on the pegs, and wrapped the guards in black leather to visually tame them down. If, like me, you drop your bike on occasion, the leather wrap can be touched up inexpensively with black shoe polish.

By the way, nice ride. Enjoy!

<::::>< er

2008 Candy Red 1100 Silverado
Passing Lamps
Cramp Buster Throttle
Risers, 3 X 1.5
Mustang Seat w/backrest
Passenger Floor Boards
Cut Down Windshield
Engine Guards
Highway Pegs
Kuryakyn Hypercharger and Jets
Samson Warlord II Ripsaw Pipes
Jardin OFR Kit
Barons Tachometer
Clock/Thermometer
Windshield Bag
Tank Bib with pocket
Luggage Rack (only on tour)
Sissy Bar Luggage (only on tour)
Leather Trimmings
Badges removed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 04:26 PM

I recently installed the OE two piece bars on my 1100. It the ones for the 950 are similar I wouldn't waste my money on them. The one piece bars will be much stronger and rigid. Mine give when I rest my feet on the pegs. I fabricated a brace between the two sides to make me feek like i wasn't going to bend them.Not happy with them at all. Plus when installing them I nicked them in one spot which quickly turned to a spot about the size of a dime that the plating flaked off. I will agree with the kuryakyn iso pegs. Love them.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 04:59 PM

Garage
Are you shore you don't have some cheap after market as I have the Yamaha two piece for 7 years and you can stand up on they?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 10:05 AM

For your charging/heated gear port, there are basically two methods for making the connection.

1. Wired direct to the battery through a fused circuit. This is simplest but has the drawback of discharging the battery if a device is left connected with the ignition off (just like some car lighter/accessory ports) For heated gear this approach will require that any on/off or temperature control be part of the gear. Of course a switch can be wired into a direct connection to avoid the discharging problem. But the trouble of the switch makes the second method a better choice.

2. A switched relay circuit has power only when the ignition is on and the circuit switch is on. This prevents the circuit from discharging the battery.

There are diagrams and photos of both wiring methods on the net. I think somebody posted a great photo of the switched relay circuit in one of the threads on this forum a while back.

For just charging a phone the direct connection is simplest. Mine cost about $12 including a 5 amp inline. I put a cigarette lighter 12 volt connection inside my left saddle bag. My phone is out of the weather and secure there. For me I prefer independently powered heated gear since I already have it for other outdoor pass times.

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmalldanzil View Post
Are you shore you don't have some cheap after market as I have the Yamaha two piece for 7 years and you can stand up on they?
I have wondered about that. Its a possibility I guess. They were purchased off ebay. The bars themselves were loose except for being in a plastic sleeve. But with them was a bag that contained the OE hardware and install instruction sheet. Seller claims he bought a bunch of new old stock from a local dealer that was cleaning house.
A question I will never really know the answer to I guess.
Either way, based on how they are designed I still say one made with a solid loop would be stronger and safer regardless of brand. Just the physics makes a single loop stiffer in my opinion.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 12:08 PM

Problem with swapping the seat in an attempt to get you closer to the bars, is that eventually the foam will start flattening/breaking down, & then you wont be able to reach them comfortably again...
Personally if the Bike is still under a Factory Warranty, or a 30-90day New/Used Purchase Warranty from a Shop or Dealership, then I would take your bike in, and ask them to adjust your bars(rotate them towards you) to be more comfortable for you... That should easily net you an extra 1/2 to 1" or so...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

update

Hello!

A quick update:

My longest ride to date of 110 miles left my butt a bit sore so I ordered an Airhawk pad. The Airhawk arrived today and I took it out on the motorcycle for a quick 25 mile jaunt. I liked what I felt. The pad actually moved me forward slightly and up a bit into a more comfortable riding position.

I came home today and ordered Memphis shades lowers and the mounting kit for them. Then I ordered an upgraded Sylvania headlight and the LED plug and play sets for the front and rear turn signals from Custom Dynamics. I have a drivers back rest for the motorcycle as well should be arriving Friday.

That is my quick list of mods and upgrades that I said I wasnt go to do to the bike until i put it away over the winter! This is way too much fun to ride and these additions will help add both comfort and safety to my rides!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode