opinions 1300 ? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 05:15 AM Thread Starter

opinions 1300 ?

Hi all as you know i am fairly new here and have been looking at either 1100 or a 1300 ,did have a look at the 1600 but still not sure just wondering what peoples opinions here are about the 1300 .All the reviews i have read here in aus have been really good but id say there are more owners in the states so be honest and say your piece ,thanks crispy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 06:42 AM

I have a 2013 1300 Deluxe and I couldn't think of a better motorcycle for the money. It is a plenty powerful motorcycle. Easy to handle and ride. I am 6' and 190 pounds, it fits me well. I did drill the airbox to give it some better low end response. The engine is smooth running and responsive. Expect the Deluxe to be what it is, a cruiser/bagger. I can't speak about a non-Deluxe model.

My criticisms are the stock seat is okay but after riding a few hours it gets uncomfortable. The transmission is a bit clunky at first but has gotten better with some use and my technique is better. The weight takes some getting used to at 670 ish pounds. It will run all day at 60 to 65 mph but above that I am wanting a 6th gear. It runs fine at 70 to 75 but the rpm are up more than I'm used to. No deal breakers.

I like it a lot.

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 03:50 PM

After looking casually for 10 years (after selling my last bike) and looking seriously for the last 3 years, I picked a 1300 for the following reasons:

1. I like the way they look, and the styling matched what I wanted.

2. Consumer Reports rated Yamaha as most reliable compared to many other brands, based on reports from those that owned 2008-2012 models. Yamaha had 1 in 10 bikes being reported repaired. Harley and BMW had the worst record with 1 in 4 bikes being repaired according to the owners of those bikes.

3. I am 6'4" and 350 and I need a bigger bike to fit me, support my size, and not look like I was riding a child's bike when I sat on it. I felt like 900cc or less might be a bit too small for me. Some shops agreed I wouldn't regret getting a bit more power.

4. There are several Yamaha dealers in my rather suburban area, so I knew I would have help figuring things out, and getting repairs done.

5. I found a great used one, got a lot of extras, and the price was really good. I guess my luck was based on how long I have been waiting for the right deal to come along.

6. I read MANY reviews by people who owned them, and I was hard pressed to find many people who really weren't satisfied with the Yamahas.

7. It is a comfortable, easy to manage bike for its size and weight. It has plenty of power, and it feels so good to me. Of course it has been ten years so I am just happy to get back on anything!

I just got mine a week ago today, and I have been on it everyday, liking it a bit more every mile.

Good luck.

'09 Vstar 1300 Tourer Galaxy Blue
New to me in 2014

"From thumb throttles to twist throttles in 35 years"

Last edited by Dekraut; 09-17-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 04:47 PM

Simply put, it's a great bike! Some draw backs are no 6th gear, no fuel gauge (at least those are my pet peeves) Lots of power, comfortable, Dependable and easy to ride. What else could you ask for.

2008/ 1300 V Star
Kuryakyn Pro R hypercharger
Road Burner 2.5" Street Pros
Dyno-Jet fuel processor
Yamaha OEM Passing lamps
Yamaha OEM highway bars Kuryakyn pegs
Tsukayu Strong JUMBO hard bags
Wicked Lightening green LED's
Kuryakyn Triple Whammy
RecklessMotorcycles fairing w/Rockford Fosgate amp
Klock Werk 6.5" windshield

V&H Big Shots for sale
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Hi guys some great comments here and this is what i wanted to hear ,now i am around 90kg so i dont know what that is in lbs but i am not to heavy and am 5foot 6 in height .I have been u tubing lots of videos about the 1300 and seeing what exhaust systems people are putting onto them plus other mods like drilling out baffles dont know if that is a good idea or not also watching some of the different types of 1300 out there ie:customs ect but mainly here they are standard except for show bikes ,there are some good used bikes around but most are interstate but ill just keep looking (maybe not for 13 years though) until the right one comes up .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode