After looking casually for 10 years (after selling my last bike) and looking seriously for the last 3 years, I picked a 1300 for the following reasons:
1. I like the way they look, and the styling matched what I wanted.
2. Consumer Reports rated Yamaha as most reliable compared to many other brands, based on reports from those that owned 2008-2012 models. Yamaha had 1 in 10 bikes being reported repaired. Harley and BMW had the worst record with 1 in 4 bikes being repaired according to the owners of those bikes.
3. I am 6'4" and 350 and I need a bigger bike to fit me, support my size, and not look like I was riding a child's bike when I sat on it. I felt like 900cc or less might be a bit too small for me. Some shops agreed I wouldn't regret getting a bit more power.
4. There are several Yamaha dealers in my rather suburban area, so I knew I would have help figuring things out, and getting repairs done.
5. I found a great used one, got a lot of extras, and the price was really good. I guess my luck was based on how long I have been waiting for the right deal to come along.
6. I read MANY reviews by people who owned them, and I was hard pressed to find many people who really weren't satisfied with the Yamahas.
7. It is a comfortable, easy to manage bike for its size and weight. It has plenty of power, and it feels so good to me. Of course it has been ten years so I am just happy to get back on anything!
I just got mine a week ago today, and I have been on it everyday, liking it a bit more every mile.