burnt oil smell after a good ride - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

burnt oil smell after a good ride

so after doing the POD kit and everything working like it should, ive noticed that it smells like burn oil everytime i take it for a good ride.... is that normal smell coming from the Pod filters or breather filter?... or is it a bigger issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 11:27 AM

Garage
You shouldn't get any smells from the pods filters on the carbs. You may get some from the vent filter depending on where you have it installed. Personally, I never noticed any smells other than when my vent filter is saturated and needs to be cleaned. When did you notice the smell? Was it soon after the install or a while after?

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
You shouldn't get any smells from the pods filters on the carbs. You may get some from the vent filter depending on where you have it installed. Personally, I never noticed any smells other than when my vent filter is saturated and needs to be cleaned. When did you notice the smell? Was it soon after the install or a while after?

The smell started right after i installed the pods.... what else could cause it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 02:34 PM

Garage
When does the smell happen, during the ride or after? You can have a look at your vent filter to see if it's saturated with oil or if has changed colour, getting oil on it. This could happen very fast if your oil level is on the high side. Another thing to check would be to see if oil is dripping from the vent filter onto the exhaust once you're stopped.
If and when you take the tank off, take a pic or two of your setup. Might help out in figuring out what's wrong.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/

Last edited by Corsair; 09-21-2014 at 12:52 PM. Reason: typos
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 09:49 AM

Burnt oil odor

MY FIX.
Had my valves adjusted which requires Tank removal and air box sitting inside frame under the seat from carbs. Mechanic did not put the "crankcase breather tube" back on the air box, I took it back, he removed the Tank, found the hose not connected , put it on properly NO FURTHER ODOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode